Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

knock knock......whats there?

xitekamelion

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs S2 Ecotec Equipe
Hey guys.

First of all thanks to all, after searching threads i was easily able to change the fuel pump today as the manual (max ellerys) does not say to disconect the internal breather hose, without this forums asststace im sure i would have snapped or bent something.

Anyway, when i purchased my 97 VS 6 months ago it had a slight knocking sound over bumps from the front left suspension, assuming it was a shock (all shot!) i left it till the new set up went in. I replaced the springs, shocks, struts, panard and link pins with a lowered pro ryder setup yet the knock still persists , it can get quite bad over couragations and bad roads betweer 40-60 KPH, can anyone let me know where to start looking?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
did you get new strut tops when the work was done ? The noise is more than likely a worn bush on the radius rod or control arm, or a worn tie rod end.

clubby_you

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
Sounds like a bearing plate i betting they wre not replaced when the struts were done

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
Mc pherson strut, check strut tower for worn rubber and or failed clear plastic seal,
the ajustment bolt in centre of tower will grow till a pimple is pressed into the bonnet.
the failed rubber is located underside of strut tower. (looks chrushed/split/destroyed)

clubby_you

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
Mc pherson strut, check strut tower for worn rubber and or failed clear plastic seal,
the ajustment bolt in centre of tower will grow till a pimple is pressed into the bonnet.
the failed rubber is located underside of strut tower. (looks chrushed/split/destroyed)
AKA bearing plate

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6

xitekamelion

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs S2 Ecotec Equipe
OK, so the strut top / bearing plate, is this visible with just removing the wheel or does the strut need to be removed for inspection? if this is the black rubber center surounded by the bolts that secure the strut from in the engin bay then Yes, they were replaced.
What is involved in replacing the control arm bushes, is a press required?

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
yes the black rubber centre (viewed under bonnet) surounded by the bolts that secure the strut.
then yes if "replaced" then sorry all out of info in this aspect.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
as for bushes, a press would be requried to install new rubber bushes to the inner control arms only. You can do both ends of the radius rod without a press but you will need a threaded rod and some suitable nuts and spacers to push / pull the bushes out and in.
There are 2 threads on this on here. 1 by dannyboyds and one by myself.
And a little tip fo ya, you don't need a press if you use polyurethane bushes cos they don't have steel casings.
If you hear a single loud thud ( maybe 1 from each side ) when braking hard its probably your bushes ..

xitekamelion

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs S2 Ecotec Equipe
OK, I was sussing a few things out this morning and noticed that the small rubber disc at the top of the strut tower was loose (its about 3"round and held down by the center nut) is it posible that this nut can come loose? i have tried tightening it but only had limited tools at the time and felt extremely tight as it was. Should this rubber disc be able to spin around ? im begining to think they used my old strut tops!