Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Knock Sensor Installation

C

crimnl73

:confused: I just bought a hsv 185kw chip package for my vr 5L, can someone please tell me how to install a knock sensor and wiring harness thanks :confused:

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
Knock sensor is to be installed on the passenger side of the engine block mid-way beneath your exhaust manifold. Just remove the existing bolt from the block (will just be sitting there holding nothing in place). Shielded end of the harness connects to the knock sensor. Disconnect you battery (VERY IMPORTANT!!) and remove passenger side kick panel. Feed the harness through the firewall into the kick panel area. Unhook the computer and install the exposed pin on the end of the harness into the following pin location on the computer:

B11 for all manuals VN to VSII
B11 for auto VN
D5 for auto VR-VSII

Then unscrew the cover on the computer and replace the memcal with your new one. Screw the access cover back on and put the computer back in its place. Make sure everything is reconnected securely and then reconnect your battery (if you've got the stock radio have your pin code handy). Computer will "relearn" its settings after a few minutes of the engine running and you should be done.

If you have any troubles (such as an error code still present) do a search on this forum as all troubles have been discussed before. i.e. For instance if you got the package from ebay you may have the wrong knock sensor.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

C

crimnl73

thanks mate i got quoted $120-$200 to get it put in, but thanks to u i saved and it was so easy to do.
thanks again, it runs great.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
Had a request to post some pics so here they are. Knock sensor is mounted passenger side in front of the starter motor. I also took a second picture showing the routing of the loom. This location will only pit minimal stress on the pin that goes into the knock sensor (a common area of failure) and is kept well away from the hot exhaust. You can just see it peeking out from under the exhaust manifold before running through a heatshield through which another loom runs (straight arrow). It's then attached up onto the inner guard where it runs back through the firewall.

Mark.

Attachments

• 5L Knock Sensor Location.jpg
    5L Knock Sensor Location.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 9,498
  • 5L Knock Sensor Wire Routing.jpg
    5L Knock Sensor Wire Routing.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 7,768

MJohns

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
crimnl73 said:
:confused: I just bought a hsv 185kw chip package for my vr 5L, can someone please tell me how to install a knock sensor and wiring harness thanks :confused:

Crimnl73, If you dont mind me asking, how much did the chip package cost you?

Thanks

M

matt69

i heard a rumour most chips dont use a knock sensor as they hamper performance. however the factory ones need it to run. is this true. as i think i'll wait and buy a cam/chip package instead hey.

Qdf397

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ute 3.8
Hi mate where did you get your knock sensor wiring harness from, I need to get one

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
another dead thread dig from way back in 2005, I'm sure the OP has solved his issues and moved on.