Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Knocking in steering rack?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
...we have a winner! The knocking is coming from inside those rack boots, more so on the left hand one but feels like both are doing it. I can see how they are replaced so will get a pair and replace them asap. Thanks for your help VC, much appreciated!:spot on:

Too easy mate......It's normally the left side suspension components that wear out first, but you replacing both is a good idea.

Report back once the rack ends (the name for those components) are replaced so everyone knows for future reference

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
interesting, i noticed something similar, but wasnt worried about it. Its definately on my check list sometime

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
A bit of an update guys. I fitted the rack ends which was a surprisingly easy job to do. Then took it for a drive and the clunk, while reduced, was still there :( Put it up on the hoist at the local Holden dealer and had a look and eventually isolated the problem to the upper steering column, the bearing in it is stuffed and you have to replace the whole assembly! I've just picked up a new superseded stock one off ebay for $125, new from Holden is $760.00. It's not common apparently....where have I heard THAT before? This job has a high potential for me to f%*k it up, so i'll get the dealer to do the job for me, i'll report back on how this went.

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Another update, the new steering column has been fitted up and once again I have perfect steering. No rattles. Took the dealer just over three hours to replace it if that helps anyone.

Cheers

OD