Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Knocking noise from engine maybe.

SSbeast

Reaction score
I've got a knocking noise that only seems to be there when engine is warm and under load like going up a hill or accelerating heavy. However when i park the car and free rev it in N or P the engine sounds fine no noise not even lifter noise. Is there anything else maybe exhaust system that can create a knocking noise? The noise isn't loud and you really have to pay attention to hear it. Cheers.Oh it's a VX SS LS1 4spd too.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
It may be Pinking or sometimes referred to as Pinging, which is actually detonation (very roughly explained if the fuel is a bad batch or of a low octane instead of a controlled burning of the fuel, it tends to detonate or explode in an uncontrolled manner and cause a knock which in extreme cases can burn a hole in the top of the piston), it could be a bad batch of fuel, it is usually not very loud though. Maybe try a tank of premium fuel 95 or 98 octane and see if it makes any difference. If it is a really bad knock it may be some thing more sinister like a bearing. I'd try the fuel first and see if it makes a difference. Have a read of the link below.
Is it a stock LS1 or has it been tuned, it may have been tuned to run on 98 octane fuel.

Engine knocking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SSbeast

Reaction score
It's been tuned mafless and i only run it on 98 either Vortex 98 or BP ultimate. Shouldn't the knock sensors pick up detonation and retard the timing?