Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Knocking sound in tailshaft

lwessel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman sII 5ltr 1995 & VE SS V8 Commodore
ok i have a 1995 VR Stato 304, driving home the other day a loud knocking sound under the centre console(at the rear of it) more when i excelerate. Rubber Donut??

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Yeh. Centre bearing. May as well do unis at the same time.

Mark all parts before to align them on reassembly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Depending how it went bang and how far you drove it you may need another tailshaft. I know when mine went it fouled the shaft. I had mine rebuilt and it went again. It may have been out of balance when it went but it may have been the new uni that shifted when it went the second time, not 100% sure. Make sure you use a gen bearing/mount. Most aftermarket gear is junk. The rubber boot on most aftermarket bearings are really soft and the shaft can flop around if you drive on a rough road. I found out the hard way and had no recall bloke refused to refund me and Paypal wouldn't get involved as it was a warranty claim. Once i had another good shaft rebuilt with gen bearing and quality unis, i had no issues at all and that's 18 months or more ago. First rebuilt shaft lasted less than 2 months.

lwessel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman sII 5ltr 1995 & VE SS V8 Commodore
@BowTie & @losh1971 cheers, there was no bang about 3 weeks ago there was a slight knocking sound but didnt continue Until the other day, i was hoping it was the rubber donut or maybe a loose exhurst i dont have a hoist which makes working under car a pain

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
It's an awkward job, but a couple of stands under the rear is enough room to do it.