Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

KW Gains

Ant

Reaction score
Hey Guy's,

Looking at having the following installed in the next few weeks:

- Extractors, exhaust system (not sure what size just yet), hi flow cat.
- Some sort of new ECU like a UniChip or similar.
- Air Filter and Intake.

For the ECU and Air Filter, can anyone recommend the best model/brands to install.

If these mod's were all completed, what kind of KW gain could I expect? Woudl it be much?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Dont waste your time with an aftermarket ECU or a piggyback unichip, get the std unit retuned.
im sure a good chip can be got for a reasonable price from someone on here.....
<looking innocently around, tapping foot on the ground>

Rob

Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
I have installed a TSI piggy back ECU today and ran out of time to get it dyno tuned until tommorrow (WED) so I will let you know how much improvement it gives. If you plan to progressively do mods then you really need to do them all then get the tune done at the completion of all the mods otherwise if you spend the money on a 'chip' then change something you will possibly be needing another tune and chip. That is when an aftermarket ECU or piggy back system might be handy so you can change things as you change or add mods.

Pacemaker headers are always good
Redback exhausts sounds ok and reasonable price
Use the genuine holden CAI and a K&N panel filter or Redline brand (cheaper version of K&N)
FIT 1.9:1 or YT 1.8:1 rockers give good gains too.
You probably wont need a new ECU with basic mods...unless you start adding different cams etc.

EDIT>> Unichip doesnt seem to get good ratings???

Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
Some of you might be interested in the result I got after installing the TSI 'piggy back' ECU today.....

Before we started editing with the TSI we wanted to establish my previous power figures of 164.3 rwkW. The best we could do was 155 rwkW!! After much head stractching all we could put the lose of 9kW down to is maybe I now have a bad batch of my bulk PULP fuel Anyway I am getting a sample tested to see just what octane it is and whether it is even PULP!!

OK from todays starting point of 155.0 rwkW we ended up with an new figure of 182.9 rwkW after the edit So an increase of almost 28 rwkW!!

Interesting point....The factory CAI was costing me 5rwkW!! We put that loss down to maybe the narrowing of the neck of the snorkel not allowing enough flow now with the increased demand So the best power figures are drawing from the opening in the front corner of the filter box into the engine bay!!

Next bolt on mod we might try is a LS1 MAF and LS1 throttle body.

Very happy with the TSI and according to my tuner "very easy to work with".