Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kw vs Horsepower

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
ok..i didnt explain it that great before cos i was tryna keep it short but maybe i can clear a few things up.
to measure horsepower you need to have a distance of measurement...and because torque is displayed as ft-lb the figure 6.2832 is used (which is the circumference of a circle, with a one foot radius)
its the distance which the force is applied per second that determines hp.
and because the measurement of revs in a engine is revs/per minute a constant of 550 which applies to seconds, is multiplied by 60 (the amount of seconds in a minute)
changing the constant to 33,000.
you use these figures with the torque@rpm figures from your engine to complete the formula to find out your hp.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
lol...do u understand now?
or is that just even more confusing?

IanG

Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Wagon
I hope some of this stuff is accurate.

A kilowatt is a unit of energy and a horsepower is unit of work. [Strength] James Watt developed this while helping develop Steam Engines. They have been used together for a while. [Still are] -Horsepower at the crank, kilowatts at the rear wheels. Horsepower is starting to become obsolete. Three possible reasons: The metric system, Car salesmen talking bullshit and confused Americans.

Horsepower is a British unit of measurement developed by James Watt based on how much work a horse can do. [Whose horse I don't know]

One horsepower provides the ability to do 550 ft-lbs of work every second. 550 ft-lbs of work is any product of force (in pounds) and distance (in feet) equalling that number.

Applying 55 lbs of force through a distance of 10 feet, for example, represents the same amount of work as 11 lbs. of force applied through 50 feet. The force can be used to lift objects against the pull of gravity, drag them along the ground against frictional forces, accelerate objects, etc.

A 100 HP motor would let you do 550 X 100 or 55,000 ft-lbs. of work each second. It could, for example, lift 550 lbs. 100 feet in one second. To lift more weight at the same rate, or the same weight more quickly, you would need more horsepower.

Answered by: Paul Walorski, B.A. Physics, And Part-time Physics Instructor

A Watt is also British unit named after James Watt and was adopted by the Second Congress of the British Association for the Advancement of Science in 1889 and again by some French mob in 1960. The metric system originated in France. [A Watt is a standard unit of power defined as one Joule of energy transferred or dissipated in one second.]

infinitepower.org & Wikipedia.org

Here endith the lesson :coolpimp:

Attachments

• SCwattP.jpg
    SCwattP.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
S

Sensations

Horse power was the old school was of working out power-but still used.

New generation/era KW is what some use now.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
KW is not really relevant when compared to NM, torque is what moves the car. So kw is how much power the engine can make and NM is how hard the engine can move the car.