Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L3 calais instrument cluster.

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
To do it properly and have no issues or fireworks you will require what is called a patch loom. These were originally made for the Maloo utes that ran a L3 dash in a Exec based vehicle. It was a genuine part.

There was a chap that ran a business here in Adelaide (Seaford) that made nothing but patch looms for all the VN thu to VS vehicles. He has since sold that business off and left the country. His name was Shane if I recall correctly.

Do a search on patch looms via Google and it should come up with something. This way you won't have to change BCM's or any other Exec componentry.

Cheers,
Marty

No need to change the BCM, just need to source a Level 3 cluster, trip computer switch and Level 3 dash harness,you then need to modify that into a patch harness, probably a hours or 2's work, you then need to splice that into the existing executive dash harness (according to the wiring diagrams on the links) probably another few hours

Just while this is still going. Could i use my L3 loom and cluster without using climate control. (meaning just have standard heater box controls). I only ask as ive got climate control module but dont really want to change heater unit out again i just want L3 cluster.

in short no, that wiring is a fair bit different -different pin outs and switches for a/c system and security

I just searched ebay and this came up

VR VS Level 3 Cluster Patch Lead | eBay

mickVS84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Cheers exec24. I'll just make a loom to fit, just didn't want to it if i didn't need to. Cheers

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
Also just so people know there are some minor changes between some VR and VS's

VR and VS's built up to December 1995 are the same but VS's built in or after January 1996 have a slightly different warning lights

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi mickVS84,

Absolutely not unless you want a fireworks display. It's far more involved than what you think.

Also while I'm at it, I've just spoken to the chap in Adelaide who is leaving the country next Monday. I intend to buy his remaining looms and pass a few on but keeping a few for myself.

Cheers,
Marty

LordMayhem

Here For A Good Time!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
If you have the bit of loom cut out from donor car and follow the diagrams then how can it become a fireworks display

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

mickVS84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Forgot to mention if i was to do the loom, i have a spare L3 Dash loom to play with and a high bcm.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Forgot to mention if i was to do the loom, i have a spare L3 Dash loom to play with and a high bcm.

Get the l3 loom and untape back from the centre three dash switch plugs across the orange/blue three instrument connectors to the big white multipin connector ...get the instrument connector no 4 that plugs normally up to the trip computer and trace where the wire ends are teed into the loom and cut those off at maximum length...some other wires run from connector 4 to the small black mode switch plug..keep them in tact still connected to that plug and then trace where 2 black earth wires run from the that mode switch plug from tee joints in the loom and cut them off at max length. Only one wire is left....it will run from the no 4 connector to the big white multipin connector....it will be a yellow/black wire....cut that wire off as long as possible and lengthen it by joining another piece of wire about a metre and a half long to it. Now you have all the wires/plugs you need to graft into your cars original loom that you need to make the l3 dash work. You keep your cars original bcm. Then here are some directions how I do it

Last edited:

mickVS84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks for that markovr, thats what i was thinking of doing. Well ill be starting that very soon. Cheers fellas.

LordMayhem

Here For A Good Time!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Thanks for the help all done and dusted today and nope didn't set it on fire haha. Next is the power window conversion

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk