Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L36 VY ecotec 120,000 K Blown head gakset with rusted lipped bores

vscom88

Andrew-
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Hi, my friend bought a VY L36 for $200 with a blown head gasket on the odd bank of cylinders , cylinder 5 has some minor rust while cylinder 1 has excessive rust which is rough and can be felt if you ran your fingers down the bores.

I have stripped the engine down to its just a block without the heads or anything else.

Below i have uploaded 4 photos to give you some indication to what I'm on about.

The bloke tried to use sand paper to try and remove the rust off the walls till i told him not to .. He also moved the piston skirt up above the rusted area a few times, just wondering what damage this will do to the walls and the rings ?

Also just wondering without having to remove the pistons and hone the block what's the best way to go about removing the rust ? He refuses to get the cylinders honed because of it being a ' Low Kilometer ' Engine.

I will keep you's updated on how the build goes, we're planning on putting a cam in int and making it a super high comp engine with 40 thou taken off each head.

Any opinions what so ever would be much appreciated, thanks !

When we removed the heads these bores were full of water , as you can see it doesn't appear to mixing oil with the water but the engine has 100% been cooked big time for the water to turn to rust as such, the whole cooling system was like this. :idea:

Attachments

• IMAG0385.jpg
    IMAG0385.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 310
  • IMAG0384.jpg
    IMAG0384.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 281
  • IMAG0383.jpg
    IMAG0383.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMAG0377.jpg
    IMAG0377.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 322

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
so you wanna build a high comp engine so obviously be running some nice internals and you dont want to rebore the engine??? sounds like a terrible way to blow a ton of money on an explosion

Jack_vs_BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs BT1
Rusted bores are never a straight out yes or no depends entirely on how deep the rust goes I have an L36 block from a vs with no rust and smooth bores near Melbourne if you're keen

Jack_vs_BT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs BT1
Haha fair enough it's only taking up space if you come get it you can have it

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Pull it down and have it honed. Even just for piece of mind.

40 thou off will get u a bit more comp, but hardly considered 'high comp'