Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 engine number

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
Just fitted an L67 into my VC and the engine number is a bit of a puzzle. It's out of a 12/98 VT series 1 and has an 8 digit engine number, there is no letter prefix. From what I can glean the number should start VH followed by 9 digits. Queensland Transport accepted the engine number without question when I changed it on the registration. Could it be a replacement crate engine with the number supplied by Qld police or tpt?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That's strange. You're talking about the number below the DFI module and next to the a/c compressor on the front of the block?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds like the block might have been replaced some time during the life of the car. Don't know what the Holden policy is re replacement engine numbering under warranty. I know that I replaced the block in my VX GTS with a new replacement block sourced from the USA. That block didn't have any engine number only a blank spot where the engine number is located. VicRoads gave me what is termed a "surrogate" engine number which I had to get stamped onto the engine, then take it back to VicRoads to get the car/engine number inspected, after which I was issued with an amended registration certificate.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
That's what I am suspecting may have happened here. Holden are checking their records for me to see if it was replaced under warranty. The wreck from which I removed the engine from had only travelled 124,000kms so maybe it's done even less than the indicated mileage. There is evidence of scarring to two of the ignition coils which leads me to believe a belt let go possibly due to the engine seizing. Hopefully Holden will come up with an answer.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
Had a reply from Holden customer assist and it seems the VT wreck that I had purchased had a replacement engine at some time as the number does not match with Holden's records. So the engine must have done less than the original 124,000kms, winner.

nathan173

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
I recently registered my L67 VX and the engine number prefix was VR and not VH like the normal engines I think.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I recently registered my L67 VX and the engine number prefix was VR and not VH like the normal engines I think.

Someone stuffed up, VX should be a VAxxxxxx engine number (not VH).... whoever looked must've been drunk and not able to tell the difference between an A and a R.... or really bad using a qwerty keyboard.

nathan173

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Someone stuffed up, VX should be a VAxxxxxx engine number (not VH).... whoever looked must've been drunk and not able to tell the difference between an A and a R.... or really bad using a qwerty keyboard.

You are right about VA (not VH) being the standard ecotec engine prefix for a VX.
But according to this site I googled: ENGINE NUMBERS VR is the supercharged model.