Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 into vs ute things to do while motor is out

OZrevhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0 sedan, VS ute, ZX14
Guys, another guy had a thread just like this but he didn't have many answers and mine is a bit different:

I have an old bench seat VS V6 ute as a second car and its great for its purpose but it seems to have a blown head gasket (failed TK test) so I bought an L67 engine from a VS statesman along with wiring harness, ECU, transmission and heaps of parts. The previous owner took the heads off to freshen them up so I received it with the heads off and tubs of parts. I just want to get it running cheaply and enjoy (but a bit more power never hurts right?), I will be getting the heads checked since they are off and I want to make sure the blower is good before it goes back on. I will do the rear main for sure too. The ute works hard sometimes and also tows our boat. What else do you guys recommend while the motor is out and half apart?

What can I do without needing a dyno tune (expensive)? Or does every mod pretty much need a tune? Prefer not to dyno but will dyno if needed

I received a ZZ Performance 3.5 pulley with it (9psi), so will I need to dyno tune if I use it?

I located a set of 1.9 ratio rockers locally, will I need bigger valve springs to use them? I assume piston to valve is fine with the blower pistons? Will this also need a dyno tune?

I don't want the complexity of air to air intercooling and it has to be reliable, is it worth getting a phenolic spacer (or similar insulator)?

I have a 2.5" aftermarket exhaust (2 mufflers, not obnoxious) and I have a factory cold air intake (otr type thing) to use too

What else would you guys recommend? If anyone has used gear for me that is exactly what Im looking for.

Any help would be great.

Cheers.

:)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm getting problems with what I suspect is valve spring binding as i have 1.9s too. My new heads are getting new springs but they are not cheap. Budget $300 just for valve springs if you do upgrade. Might not be an issue on an L67 but on my Buick it sure is.