Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 problems. Surging, no power, intermittent rough idle

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Crank angle sensor will just stall the engine at random times when it gets hot enough. Were those codes taken when the car was running?

Cam angle sensor will just make it run in batch fire mode instead of sequential injection mode. Not ideal but will still run ok. Hows the wiring around both sensors?

You say it's on gas. Gas needs top notch ignition system as it's a lot less forgiving that petrol.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Crank angle sensor will just stall the engine at random times when it gets hot enough. Were those codes taken when the car was running?

Cam angle sensor will just make it run in batch fire mode instead of sequential injection mode. Not ideal but will still run ok. Hows the wiring around both sensors?

You say it's on gas. Gas needs top notch ignition system as it's a lot less forgiving that petrol.
The codes were taken with the car turned off. I'm not sure about the wiring on the crank angle sensor but it looks okay on the cam sensor.

I've disconnected the gas for the moment so I'm hoping it'll make it easier to get it running properly on petrol. I might unwrap the injector loom tomorrow too, it looks like it's been pulled apart at some stage, judging by the electrical tape lol

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Given that u got 3 codes for 3 different sensors, i would be replacing all 3 of them to start with...

D

devilly

could try un -plugging the iac and starting car see if it sounds any different.
also with cam sensor i'll save you $90 or more dollars,just clean it and find correct size o'ring for it.
my old one had a fault i brought a new one and found that by cleaning and putting o'ring on my old one solved the problem.
good luck with it your smart and will solve it :)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
could try un -plugging the iac and starting car see if it sounds any different.
also with cam sensor i'll save you $90 or more dollars,just clean it and find correct size o'ring for it.
my old one had a fault i brought a new one and found that by cleaning and putting o'ring on my old one solved the problem.
good luck with it your smart and will solve it :)

Cheers devilly, yeah I tried unplugging all of the sensors and all made a difference in the way it ran except the cam angle sensor.

The wiring was damaged and the casing had broken off around the wire. Soldered new wire into it and replaced the sensor from another l67 I have sitting here. Also replaced the MAF sensor and the injectors, and soldered in a new injector plug for cylinder 2 which looked a bit sad (again, the casing had split and broken away).

Took it for another drive and it was MUCH smoother, but still didn't have the top end power I expected. Got back and opened the bonnet to find that i forgot to connect the vacuum line for the FPR. Connected that and it seems to go how it should now (hopefully I haven't spoken too soon!). The old injectors looked pretty bad, the tips were black and the o-rings were less than perfect.

Old injectors:
8FWQWbC.jpg

New injectors:
VMgU4Kk.jpg

Cam angle sensor wiring (excuse the bad focus):
nWof51X.jpg

And the valve seat (just because :p) - I realised after I removed it that they never came with valve seats from the factory, the valves just mate against the cast iron which I assume is somehow hardened or coated with another material? So this one was obviously a previous 'repair'.
NoVQ0QC.png

The new head ready to go on
GHn5cZo.jpg

Cheers for the help everyone, much appreciated.

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
It may actually be a case of a something is not right in the air fuel mixing in the cylinders, take it for a drive it will eventually start working again, it may need a good run on a straight highway. I had problems and did exactly the same and then it started making a noise i thought id spun a barring so did the RAA. I took it to a mechanic as a last resort , had it towed there and it worked as I drove it into their yard and he reved it and I took it for a drive and has never worked better. The mechanic said something about a back draft or some thing I didn't understand but it effects a piston and puts everything out of whack, So it will go back to normal if you run it gently unless there is something else obvious which sounds like you have checked, is there any strange noises? Some of these codes may go after a light run on the road stay local obviously and have a mate follow incase with a tool box, thats my tip, its out of whack and no one thing is really wrong if it was like mine was, hope its that simple any way mate best of luck hey

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
It happened when my car was idle and parked and while i did a water pump and belt tensioners, as well as replacing injectors, so i think i must of stuffed it up then some how

D

devilly

WOW the electrical wirer's to cam angle sensor all i can is WOW.
did you put that heat shrink tube stuff on them ?
well done you have the smarts for it :)
looking at the colour of injectors i would be running injector cleaner through system for sure just to give it a good clean out :)

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
You really need something better than the potato you currently take photos with :p