Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 VY Replacing Head gasket and Lim gasket

HsvR86.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vy
Hi All,
In the process of replacing my LIM and head gaskets.
Have bought aluminium gaskets to replace the factory plastic gaskets.

My question is whilst the head is off I wanted to get ideas where people normally get their l67 heads machined, crack tested and pressure tested. I’m located in VIC south eastern suburbs.

Any tips on what to look out for when putting everything back together would be greatly appreciated.

Vehicle is 2003 VY l67 Calais 263,000 on the clock.
Thanks in advance.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
There is a crowd in Braeside I have spoke to about machining the Heads and Crack testing mine for my L67,
Without looking at them, he quoted approx. $600 including all the gaskets, so you can put it back together, but that was last year, and still haven't got around to it, as its not a 5 minute project, and can not be rushed.
I was chatting to him for a while and he said, tell me what you want done, and he will do it, $600 was the starting price.
BM Engine Reconditions, 24 Downard St, Braeside 9587 1212.
If you do call him, let me know how you got on.
I still need to get the heads done on mine, as I am losing a little bit of water still, and the water is a bit oily,
I did a major radiator flush, then the Radiator leaked, replaced that, then the Heater tap leaked and broke [plastic was brittle], replaced that, then then the Top Radiator Hose swelled, [looked pregnant], so I bit the bullet and replaced ALL the Hoses, 2 Radiator hoses and 4 Heater hoses, it was just like a chain reaction.
However its holding better pressure now, I'm still a bit suss on the head Gaskets, I guess I will never know till I get the heads off and inspect them, hopefully that will be the last I have to work on it for a while. ;)
Hope this helps, cheers.
PS: Mine has done 178k's, and they say they probably should be done about 180k mark.

HsvR86.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vy
Hi Krusing,
Thanks for the reply, I ended up going with all head services in Hallam and they were great.
Heads were good no cracks and wasn’t warped. Was just a tired head as had to do valve grind, new stem seals small machine and all good will be putting it back together in a couple of days.
Quick question when reinstalling pushrods:

Can any Pushrod go with any stock rocker as my rockers and pushrods have been mixed up?

Also, when installing pushrods does the valve have to be up or down or can it be in any location? Cheers

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Krusing,
Thanks for the reply, I ended up going with all head services in Hallam and they were great.
Heads were good no cracks and wasn’t warped. Was just a tired head as had to do valve grind, new stem seals small machine and all good will be putting it back together in a couple of days.
Quick question when reinstalling pushrods:

Can any Pushrod go with any stock rocker as my rockers and pushrods have been mixed up?

Also, when installing pushrods does the valve have to be up or down or can it be in any location? Cheers

Hmm, good question, assuming they are still hydraulic, I would say that all depends on the position of the cam, assuming the CAM timing is correct,
I don't think you would have a problem if they are hydraulic, Where I could be stand corrected.
On another note, I did the heads on my 253 in my LX Torana some years ago [approx. 1980], and they [pushrods] all got mixed up, and it went together ok, and fired up ok, being while I had it pulled down, I put extractors on it, and its sounded so nice, and no lifter noise at all.
Remembering it was a stock 1977 LX Sedan 253 with a M20 in Mandarine Red, and BM Engines did the Heads, so that's how long they have been around.
Still wish I had it :(.
oh well :rolleyes:
In a nut shell, hope it all worked out ok, will be interesting to see if it runs ok, after all the work you have put into it.
Remember to put a radiator coolant in it, and new Water Pump to keep it clean.
If you have any faults, let me know, as I will do a scan for you, at a reasonable price, so you can seen what its doing.
[As I have a Autel DS708, and bought it for my L67 to look internally as to what its doing].

HsvR86.2

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 Vy
Definitely will get back to you regarding error codes.

On another note, when putting the stock rockers back in so I have to buy new rocker bolts? Same goes with inlet manifold bolts or can I use the same old inlet manifold bolts?
Thanks

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
HsvR6.2, So sorry I never got back to you, only just realised the thread was still open.
My opinion would be to replace the rocker bolts, as they would of been under stress for so many years,
I probably wouldn't replace the inlet manifold bolts, as the tension of those is not to high.
Hope it went back together ok.