Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L76 aftermarket cam/oiling question

sittingpretty188

Reaction score
Members Ride
TBA
Thanks for the info, im hoping it was just a bad batch of cheap lifters from ebay and the new LS7 lifters should sort this out

sittingpretty188

Reaction score
Members Ride
TBA
Quick update,

The L98 valley plate fitted does have the o rings to block/seal the AFM ports.

When we compared the failed lifters to the LS7 lifters, there is a massive difference in the oiling gallery hole.
The failed lifters have a tiny hole, you would struggle to fit a pin into it.
The LS7 lifters whilst far be it from throwing a sausage down a hallway, are much bigger in comparison.

Judging by the way some of the lifters have collapsed completely and the way that the damage has occurred, I am still leaning towards oil starvation as the main issue.

I will update the thread once the new cam and lifters are in and see how we go :)

sittingpretty188

Reaction score
Members Ride
TBA
Hi guys,

So I got the car back together over the weekend and with the new LS7 lifters its running great.

We decided to look a bit closer at the lifters and buckets from ebay and found that when the lifters are in the bucket, they can pretty much rotate freely around because the buckets are not putting any sort of pressure on the lifter at all. Its almost like the buckets are stretched/warped out of shape!
Looking at the damage to the lifters again, this actually makes alot of sense, the were probably spinning around like a washing machine on the camo_O

I guess the take away from this expensive experience is if you are going to buy lifters and buckets when doing a cam swap, it would be wise to get genuine or a good quality aftermarket option!!

Ill post some videos of it soon once its tuned :cool:

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Excellent news, good luck with it hopefully many trouble free kms , look forward to the vids

Reactions: Lex

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
Hi guys,

So I got the car back together over the weekend and with the new LS7 lifters its running great.

We decided to look a bit closer at the lifters and buckets from ebay and found that when the lifters are in the bucket, they can pretty much rotate freely around because the buckets are not putting any sort of pressure on the lifter at all. Its almost like the buckets are stretched/warped out of shape!
Looking at the damage to the lifters again, this actually makes alot of sense, the were probably spinning around like a washing machine on the camo_O

I guess the take away from this expensive experience is if you are going to buy lifters and buckets when doing a cam swap, it would be wise to get genuine or a good quality aftermarket option!!

Ill post some videos of it soon once its tuned :cool:
Hey mate, how did your build go? Just a note on the pressure relief in the sump I blanked mine off and still using the stock L77 oil pump, gives me great oil pressure at idle (around 50psi) and throughout the rev range. Never had an issue with oil flow or low pressure at high revs and I rev its ring out all the time. Done 3 oil changes after my dod delete, cam/lifter swap and no excess metal in oil/filter or on the magplug, which leads me to believe blanking out the relief hasn't caused any issues.

Attachments

• l77-oil-a - Copy.jpg
    l77-oil-a - Copy.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 152
  • l77-oil-c - Copy.jpg
    l77-oil-c - Copy.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited: