Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L76 Exhaust

MorganVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Sorry if this has been asked before or is in the wrong area, had a good look around but couldn't find anything.

Recently got a 6.0L VZ Thunder and been looking at exhausts. I'm not really too keen on spending huge amounts of money but was wondering if it's worth getting a catback system? I just want to get abit more noise out of the engine and was looking into maybe a xforce 2.5. I'm not looking for an amazing zorst but trying to get a bit more out of it.

Is it worth getting or not bother?

MorganVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Also does anyone know a joint in Melbourne which stocks difilippo exhausts? Having trouble finding any

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I had an xforce on my l76. It made it louder but I didn't really like the sound it made. It made it sound better once I got some extractors and high flow cats. But then it was too loud. It didn't drone much but I'm guessing it would with an auto. If all you want is more noise then xforce will do that for you.

Difilippo is like xforce's polar opposite. Expensive! Gm Motorsport sell them if you want to look at their website.

If I where you I'd find a happy medium. Spend a bit more coin for a better quality sound that will keep you happy. As a catback alone the xforce really didn't do it for me.

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
Exhaust sound is totally subjective, I suggest you jump on Youtube, or better yet, listen to some in person if you can. VZ system will sound different to VE btw. I like the XForce twin 3" with the merge changed to a H pipe (which my car has)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I do Manta cat backs at a really good price. Quality is up there with the more expensive systems. Manta is not a cheap system, I just deal direct with the manufacturer so I can do them cheaper. $790 shipped for a twin 2 1/2" with front hotdogs and rear resonator.

MorganVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Thanks for the replies, extremely helpful!

I'm definitely looking at a better note/louder rather then just louder. I've looked at a lot of exhaust vids but it's still hard to tell, and I don't know anyone else whom i could listen to in person. The extremely mixed opinions of xforce have kinda turned me off, which is why im thinking of biting the bullet and just getting a difilippo.

@ abba, in all honesty how do they compare to difilippo catbacks?

P.S. Its a manual

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Manta or Di Filippo for sure. I'd be going one or the other on my next car.

X-force is cheap and gives great performance but they are loud and droney. In VY/Z spec anyway. Different story in VE.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Difillipo use a merge type (x pipe), Manta use a H. Different note. Difillipo is probably less defined I suppose, where as the Manta has the distinct V8 pulse.

As for quality, I would put Manta very high on the list for finish and fitment. They use alumised pipe so they don't need to paint it. It won't rust. Only the welds are painted silver to match the rest of the system.

I'm probably biased towards Manta as I have been using that company for over 20 years.

MorganVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Have you got a decent vid of a 6.0 with manta catback? Theres a couple on youtube but the vid quality is shite.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I don't have any, no. I have sent a few over to Melbourne, hopefully someone on here will offer to let you listen in person. Or even post a vid of theirs.