Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 Cold Air Intake

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Hey guys got the 09 SSV ute. 2.5inch cat back rear muffler delete and I think straight thru cats. Has a huge declaration burble so I'm guess straight cats. The ute also came with the SS Growler intake. I had a look at the filter today it is beyond repair, has a small crack and crazy dirty. So this is my issue, I can 1) buy a new filter from ss induction $125 + postage. 2) I can make something pretty decent retaining the SS Growler box and system but utilising a universal K&N for about $75. I enjoy tinkering and will be half price so I'll prob go the K&N option. But now the kicker. I can get my hand on a ORSSOM otr. I love the induction sound that they make. However, I can not afford a tune, I really have no intentions of getting a tune. The car runs pretty sweet now but if I do go the ORSSOM otr I'm worried I'll get my awesome sounding induction along with engine warning signals. Can anyone confirm or deny that I'll get engine warnings? Also I know the car won't run great but will it really be that bad. Sorry if this has been covered but I don't think my specific issue has been.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
As long as you retain the Mass Air Flow sensor you should be ok.

The engine will breath better than the standard induction. If you get the engine tuned to the OTR it will be even better.

If you don't intend on getting it tuned then I'd save the money and replace the growler filter.

You will still have induction noise with the OTR.

There are threads on this in the forum already. Maybe do a search and see what comes up.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Hey guys got the 09 SSV ute. 2.5inch cat back rear muffler delete and I think straight thru cats.
Has a huge [deceleration] burble so I'm guess straight cats.

LOL so really you want an Orssom intake coz loudest burbliest car possible, no matter possibly blows up, doesn't go any better or wastes fuel.
Mate that intake is loud, and very good but it has a ram air effect of about 1/2 psi at highway speed and over 60 kph temp is really close to ambient. Means it is hugely different to the Growler, you can't bolt that on without a tune, your existing tune can't cope.
You will break it.
Huge deceleration burble (versus random exploding fart bang pop) is more likely that it does have cats and needs a tune.
Save for a bargain remote tune - an OBD box that a tuner can see where it's at and put most minor issues like this in order - called an AutoCal - and you email him some samples taken whilst driving and he sends back proper calibration. It has some limits of course but for $500 is worth saving for.

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
LOL so really you want an Orssom intake coz loudest burbliest car possible, no matter possibly blows up, doesn't go any better or wastes fuel.
Mate that intake is loud, and very good but it has a ram air effect of about 1/2 psi at highway speed and over 60 kph temp is really close to ambient. Means it is hugely different to the Growler, you can't bolt that on without a tune, your existing tune can't cope.
You will break it.
Huge deceleration burble (versus random exploding fart bang pop) is more likely that it does have cats and needs a tune.
Save for a bargain remote tune - an OBD box that a tuner can see where it's at and put most minor issues like this in order - called an AutoCal - and you email him some samples taken whilst driving and he sends back proper calibration. It has some limits of course but for $500 is worth saving for.

This sounds like a possibility, does the ecu get sent away? Who can do this?

Revhigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Maloo
In regards to an OTR cold air intake, most of the time they won't need a tune if you run MAF.

We supply the Orssom here if interested.
Revhigh
Need to update it to include the VE V8.

And the VCM here.
Revhigh

Welcome to pickup in Dandenong or we can post. Feel free to pm me for a justcommodores discount code!

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
Hey guys got the 09 SSV ute. 2.5inch cat back rear muffler delete and I think straight thru cats. Has a huge declaration burble so I'm guess straight cats. The ute also came with the SS Growler intake. I had a look at the filter today it is beyond repair, has a small crack and crazy dirty. So this is my issue, I can 1) buy a new filter from ss induction $125 + postage. 2) I can make something pretty decent retaining the SS Growler box and system but utilising a universal K&N for about $75. I enjoy tinkering and will be half price so I'll prob go the K&N option. But now the kicker. I can get my hand on a ORSSOM otr. I love the induction sound that they make. However, I can not afford a tune, I really have no intentions of getting a tune. The car runs pretty sweet now but if I do go the ORSSOM otr I'm worried I'll get my awesome sounding induction along with engine warning signals. Can anyone confirm or deny that I'll get engine warnings? Also I know the car won't run great but will it really be that bad. Sorry if this has been covered but I don't think my specific issue has been.
if you have no rear mufflers this will cause the huge decel burble crackle you are getting, probably drones a bit too
some otr's need tuning some don't, but you will eventually throw a code
for the present replace your filter either kn or growler

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
In regards to an OTR cold air intake, most of the time they won't need a tune if you run MAF.

We supply the Orssom here if interested.
Revhigh
Need to update it to include the VE V8.

And the VCM here.
Revhigh

Welcome to pickup in Dandenong or we can post. Feel free to pm me for a justcommodores discount code!

No, you can't sell that OTR without a tune just a wink and she'll be right mate, maybe. That's poor form.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
This sounds like a possibility, does the ecu get sent away? Who can do this?

No, that was the old days. For GM LS you put a holding deposit down on an AutoCal, an OBD tool issued by a tuner under licence. You receive AutoCal in the post (else if you had heaps of money you'd get a tune in person).
So just like modern phone / device jail breaking, the AutoCal tool opens up the controller to read factory tune, saves as compressed file, you then send via email to tuner who confirms your VIN OS revision etc.
Next the same file has modules swapped, tables changed and config tweaked, sent back for full OS firmware replacement (full flash).
After full flash AutoCal is set to log ECU parameters and confirm feedback via email. You do this calibration feedback loop (cal flash) initially and once the tune is settled, and maybe two or three times after than then you are sweet. Send back AutoCal for deposit refund, make some noise.
Lots of people do this as a service for ~$500, but is mainly for tweaking bolt-ons. PM me for some contacts.

Last edited: