Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 rebuild for the VE wagz. Thoughts on this basic combo?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
My Stock SS-V L98 MY09 auto wagon has had a bit of a top end failure. So its just been more economical(peace of mind) to get it rebuilt, then chance anything on a half done top end fixer-upper job.

So while thats happening im looking at just slapping in a mildy bigger cam and T-bar lifters (because I can, seems pointless to put a factory cam back in). So i was looking at somthing around the 220/225 duration with 114 lobe centers and around a .600" lift. I have free almost new hsv headers im looking at fitting up with some Hi-flow cats to the factory exhaust. + Dyno tune once all is done.

I know this Combo isnt going to set the streets on fire and im fine with that. Im more after Torque then just high kw numbers. Just a solid pickup on the factory setup for a pumped up daily. Any comments/feedback on this setup appreciated as im a bit new to the Chev motors.

Also at the moment im trying to get some soild advice if a OTR (with maf) setup is going to be of any real "economical benefit". Im not a fan of large micron KN filters and i see no reason to get rid of the factory air box. But if anyone can provide me with any thoughts/experiance on weather this will prove to be any benifit to my combo I can look into it. Links to OTR setups appreciated to if possible. Not looking to spend another $1k on somthing thats gonna give only a slight improvement.

The last bit to this is: The current Throttle body keeps throwing up error codes, so its time for a new one- Will bigger throttle bodys fit the factory intake manifold, and again would this see any benifit to what im looking at doing. Or to fit a bigger TB require a new inlet manifold + New TB?

So if your still reading by now, Im keen to get this right and spend $ where it counts but not on tiny gains that cost a fortune.

Last edited:

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Hi.

With the TB, don`t bother, there is no benefit for your application, when you say error codes maybe just the TPS IAC sensors need replacing. perhaps get a second hand one from the wreckers.

Retaining the airbox and putting a K&N in there will be restricting the final output.

The cam choice is fine.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I wasnt aware you could replace the TPS only without replacing the entire TB.

So its a fair given that the OEM air intake assembly is restrictive? Its such a random shape i guess, its layout is like a 3 bedroom house. Is it best to skip the run around and go for an OTR setup? I seen yella terra has a replacement pipe that goes between the factory airbox and the TB for about $140, i wonder if this a viable more budget option, given OTR's are around $5/600ish.

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
Vcm otr with infill panels look great and work well and can go maf or mafless.
Combined with a tune you will see some good gains and more with full exhaust system.
Stock air box is a restriction.
Ive got an ls3 throttle body same as l98 if your interested.
Entire tb has to be replaced,they don't have iac or tps like the ls1 throttle bodys.

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
airhammer cold air intake is about $180 ( without shield ) and is pretty much the same as the yella terra one. if going otr, id go with a vcm one.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Ok, VCM OTR Maf intake ordered. Will be added to the re-build list.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Just to give you guys a comparison.

Went to the PLEX with the VX SS, we first tried the airbox with K&N filter,we modded the intake the MAF sensor was taken out and replaced with a piece of 4 inch stainless zorst pipe so its a little less restrictive, best time we could get was 13.87, between runs swap out the airbox and place in a OTR set up right off the bat 13.55 and the MPH went up. and the best time of 13.37 as night creeped in and the temps dropped.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
So sounds like it will be a worth while addition. Im just a bit wary of spending good coin on inlet and exhaust stuff, as the 304's never used to benefit alot from all of that. I spent quiet a bit of money on Extractors/exhaust/CAI on my old 5Ltr and never seen any real worth while gains for the money. For all that money I spent on external mods I could of just swapped in a small cam into the old 304 and been twice as better off.

Sounds like the LS engines all benefit nicely from opening up the airways though.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Could not agree more, the low down torque and throttle response after the mods and tune will have you smiling ear from ear.