Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Larger alternator is there ?????

BREWZA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS BNS UTE 1998
G`day just wanting to find out if there is a larger amps alternator for my vr v6 i run a lot of extra lights thru relays but feel i am sqeezing the guts out of my standard alternator is there an alternative that will go in place of my standard one and how can i test how much current i am drawing with everything going for example lights and aircon and anything else that draws current i have a few multi meters if that is what i need to run a test thanks to anyone that can help me and opologise if this has been brought up by others in the past thanks bruce.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
you're quickest method would be to test voltage across the battery at full load, with the motor at idle. See how much it crashes and that'd be a good sign as to if your altenator can keep up in worst case scenario.

This will at the very least be an indication of how things are preforming and what sort of load you've put on the system.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i believe u can get a BT1 alternator which is a 120amp u might find em on ebay or on some V8s that had it optioned.

could purchase one at repco if u wanted it new, but you will most likely pay thru the nose for it.

COMMY VP 666

COMMY VP V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
COMMODORE VP
there is a bosch alternator i have bought for m car, 120amp, works really well, basically then same just need to swap from brackets over (5mins).

Kurtp

VR Buicks > You ;)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 Sedan
could purchase one at repco if u wanted it new, but you will most likely pay thru the nose for it.

Repco are shocking, they quoted me 388 dollars for a new bosch stock alternator for my VR, then i walked accross the road and got the exact same one for $250 from RE Autos

jujibelly

ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Give Holden a call, my friend also got a 120A alternator lol cos he put in a shitty little amp and sub haha anyway he is an idiot.

From memory he did get it from Holden for a pretty damn cheap price like $120 pretty much the same as an 80A one.

I might add that his father does work there hence the low price but still give them a call. Then post back here cos 120A I also wouldn't mind.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
G`day just wanting to find out if there is a larger amps alternator for my vr v6 i run a lot of extra lights thru relays but feel i am sqeezing the guts out of my standard alternator is there an alternative that will go in place of my standard one and how can i test how much current i am drawing with everything going for example lights and aircon and anything else that draws current i have a few multi meters if that is what i need to run a test thanks to anyone that can help me and opologise if this has been brought up by others in the past thanks bruce.

I have a volt meter that is 3 leds and runs constantly that monitors voltage you can set the different trigger points but i have it so ...green is above 12.5 ....yellow 12.5 to 11.5 and flashing red below 11.5 to alert you and doesnt look out of place in the console and simply connects to the cig lighter power closeby .As current goes up the regulator/ alternator copes up to a point until the amps are that high that the operating voltage starts to drop so as you load your car up with amps,light etc that draws current the voltage will drop if the alternator cant supply enough power it will drop to a value below the terminal voltage of the battery and if kept constantly below ,your car will flatten the battery so a volt meter is a good way to see how your alternator is up to it.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
just some useless info, the new Aston Martin has a 200amp alternator. they are testing it in the Kuwaiti desert to see how the alternator/AC/cooling system can keep up

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I recently purchased a Bosch BXH1250 120amp alternator from AAE Wholesale in South Australia. They said that they still had a number in stock. Price was $360 with an extra $28 for overnight express delivery to Melbourne. If interested give Chris a ring on (08) 8244 9888. These alternators are hard to find and probably won’t last long.