Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Larger Oil filter - LS3/L77

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I used to run Wix on the old ute. I was told they are just cheap nothing special. Surprised to hear race cars using them.
Wix are common on sprint car engines too. There's probably different quality variants and seem a popular filter on many dry sump systems.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Wix are common on sprint car engines too. There's probably different quality variants and seem a popular filter on many dry sump systems.
I imagine on comp cars the oil and filter gets dumped each meet anyway?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I imagine on comp cars the oil and filter gets dumped each meet anyway?
I'd think most would cut the filter open and check for engine debris each meeting on the high-end race engines.

Wix have a designated race filter, high flow and pressure, low restriction.

WIX-S-e1544131201369-300x206.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd think most would cut the filter open and check for engine debris each meeting on the high-end race engines.

Wix have a designated race filter, high flow and pressure, low restriction.

View attachment 257561
Do you think these hi flow filters are a bit of a marketing ploy? I run ST because I believe they are better but I could be being mislead? They are only about $3 more than a Ryco standard filter so I use one regardless. I'd be interested to know if race mechanics reckon they really are better than standard.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Do you think these hi flow filters are a bit of a marketing ploy? I run ST because I believe they are better but I could be being mislead? They are only about $3 more than a Ryco standard filter so I use one regardless. I'd be interested to know if race mechanics reckon they really are better than standard.
We typically use standard Ryco filters on the wet sump race engines with no problems at all, and billet cleanable filters with dry sumps. I had the impression when getting a filter for my LS3 and seeing the ST filter, it had better filtering capacity but lower flow and chose not to buy it. This was probably the first ST version as I believe there's a second version of it now, but I've never looked at them since to see what's changed. I certainly don't see any deficiencies in a standard Ryco filter for the LS engines to need a better one.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Agree there’s nothing wrong with the standard ryco filters for a road car that gets serviced when it should be or in a lot of our cases even more than recommended

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
We typically use standard Ryco filters on the wet sump race engines with no problems at all, and billet cleanable filters with dry sumps. I had the impression when getting a filter for my LS3 and seeing the ST filter, it had better filtering capacity but lower flow and chose not to buy it. This was probably the first ST version as I believe there's a second version of it now, but I've never looked at them since to see what's changed. I certainly don't see any deficiencies in a standard Ryco filter for the LS engines to need a better one.
I know from experience that the ST filter doesn't filter-out leaving the oil filler cap off, so it doesn't seem worth the extra money.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Ryco Z663ST is great filter in the way it's built. I have a thread posted somewhere comparing it to AcDelco. I upened up both and the difference is huge, especially revised one with larger oval holes on top. I am sure standard Z663 is also just fine but matte black is got that fully sik factor.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Think I have three in my drawer. Each time I could get an ST for $23 or less I was grabbing one. Price wise the standard Ryco I've found was only $3 cheaper even when on sale. I started using them when I read your thread Ron. May not be necessary but it makes me feel better thinking I have a better filter than standard Ryco.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Think I have three in my drawer. Each time I could get an ST for $23 or less I was grabbing one. Price wise the standard Ryco I've found was only $3 cheaper even when on sale. I started using them when I read your thread Ron. May not be necessary but it makes me feel better thinking I have a better filter than standard Ryco.
For that small of a difference in price it’s a no brainer I suppose