Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Last holden I will ever buy.

coffee_mogul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore SVZ Ute
I have a alleged "190kw" alloytec engine, and it feels no quicker / beter than the base model alloytec I had in my previous pov pack VZ.

This engine is so lack luster it defies logic.
We currently have the loan (from smash repairers) of a VT "S" pack with 150,000kms on the odo and it has so much more torque then my 30,000kms VZ. Holden / GM should be ashamed of themselves, this vehicle SV6 / SVZ was marketed as a 6 cylinder performance vehicle, just without any real performance.

I do note, that my "190kw" alloytec does feel more lively / revy on cold start cycle. Once the temp guage indicates higher than the first two increments (average operating temp) the performance / responsiveness drops off noticeably. What does this tell me ? Holden didnt implement the torque management too effectively on the cold start map.

I have had this car since new july 07, and have been unimpressed with the unresponsive and labouring engine from day 1.

I am still waiting for the Diff noise that has developed / worsened over the last 6 months to be fixed. Holden cant supply the required replacement diff in a timely fashion. The Dealer has really been the only saving grace at this stage.

Thomas1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Statesman
Did you test drive the car before you bought it? If you did, why would you buy it if you were not happy with the performance?

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
I don't think I'll buy another Commodore either. Whilst the performance is pretty good, it is the rest of the car that is a let down. My next car will most likely be an E82 BMW 135i Sport.

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
i too was extremely dissapointed with the alloytec anchor having owned a sv6 manual. In its stock form, even tuned, exhaust etc its a shocker. It needs a blower or turbo to get any respect out of it. Its ok for a people mover but a performance 6, i dont think so.

Thats why i got an LS1.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I have a VZ 190Kw and it goes well. Especially when it hits around 75-80kph it really starts to pull. Sounds good too at full roar. I wouldn't have bought the car if I thought it was slow or unresponsive. Did you even test drive it?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I have a alleged "190kw" alloytec engine, and it feels no quicker / beter than the base model alloytec I had in my previous pov pack VZ.

This engine is so lack luster it defies logic.
We currently have the loan (from smash repairers) of a VT "S" pack with 150,000kms on the odo and it has so much more torque then my 30,000kms VZ. Holden / GM should be ashamed of themselves, this vehicle SV6 / SVZ was marketed as a 6 cylinder performance vehicle, just without any real performance.

I do note, that my "190kw" alloytec does feel more lively / revy on cold start cycle. Once the temp guage indicates higher than the first two increments (average operating temp) the performance / responsiveness drops off noticeably. What does this tell me ? Holden didnt implement the torque management too effectively on the cold start map.

I have had this car since new july 07, and have been unimpressed with the unresponsive and labouring engine from day 1.

I am still waiting for the Diff noise that has developed / worsened over the last 6 months to be fixed. Holden cant supply the required replacement diff in a timely fashion. The Dealer has really been the only saving grace at this stage.

There should be zero excuses to bitch about engine performance. Assuming the motor is operating as it should, it's the buyers obligation to research and test drive whatever car they are thinking about buying to see if it satisfies their needs.

In my opinion the alloytech is too small for the body it's excpected to push around. So there for I got the V8. Surely you are smart enough to figure that one out for yourself?

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I don't think I'll buy another Commodore either. Whilst the performance is pretty good, it is the rest of the car that is a let down. My next car will most likely be an E82 BMW 135i Sport.

Hehehe - nice car but hardly in the same market as a Commodore.

Reaper

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
haha ecotec FTW!!
But actually I took the Father in laws VE (6cyl) for a spin and it hammered! But i think they run a different engine??
Anywayz can hardly wait till i get the L67 motor in the calais will be even better!!!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The base spec engine was 175KWs yes! Not that much difference to 190.

My pov pack 05 VZ goes very well - more than enough power to push a normal Aussie family of 5 around. Dosn't have the low down touque of my VN but on the wide open roads of Australia - it is good on fuel and plenty of power for overtaking.

For a standard model car - its a great value for money car - purchased from auction when 2 years old for half the original price when new.

Sounds like the 190 option was a marketing rip off.

Last edited: