Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaded Petrol Replacement

kurtbarker

Reaction score
Hey guyz, my VK Commodore is meant to be run on Leaded petrol, but considering LRP is no longer available what should I be using? Leaded petrol has a ron rating on 96. Now i've heard people say you can put in standard unleaded [91 ron] with a leaded additive. Now if I put in 98 octane premium which has a higher ron rating than what leaded cars required, would I still need the additive?

Thanks in advance

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
hrmmm, thats a good question, the addiditive puts extra lube into the fuel or sumthinklike that and just cause its a higher ocatane doenst mean it has the same stuff in it as leaded, i thinkyoull still have to use that addditive ;)

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
Salem's right. The "lead" in leaded fuel stopped valve seat recession. Now that there is no lead present you need to substitute something for that. The lower octane of standard unleaded will more than likely cause your engine to knock (known as "pinging") if you're running standard timing. Pinging can still occur well below the point at which you can hear it with your ear and so by the time you hear it it's already doing some nasty damage to the internals of your engine!! You'll need to get the octane level up by using premium unleaded. In summary, use premium unleaded as well as an additive (flashlube or something similar).

Cheers,
Mark.

F

Frd_thmsn

lead replacement

Few of my mates have put those prozones in their car,
One is a ford XD, and two commodores a VK and a VC ( not sure on this one).

They all swear by them and reckon they work well, I think repco sell em for around $150.

Might be worth looking into.

Indy_387

Reaction score
Frd_thmsn said:
Few of my mates have put those prozones in their car,
One is a ford XD, and two commodores a VK and a VC ( not sure on this one).

They all swear by them and reckon they work well, I think repco sell em for around $150.

Might be worth looking into.

Whats a Prozone?