Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leads and plug suggestions for VS V6 Berlina'95

leolass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina '95
Hi all,
I am going to attempt to change my leads n plugs and wanting feedback on suitable brands to purchase for my car and why. :unsure:
Also any hints would be greatly appreciated as the last ones I clanged were in my VN. thanks :)

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Stay with stock. Threads been done to death.

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
Any of the major brands will be fine, but try to get leads that have the cylinder number written on them. When you swap them over, disconnect the battery, spray a little CRC/WD-40 on the plug thread, and do them up tight, but not so tight they snap lol. It's hard to explain, just go firm, then a tiny bit more. Chuck the corrugated tubing away, and unbolt the alternator so you can take the leads out easily, and install the new ones neatly. Label each of the old leads according to the numbers on the coil packs, and just swap one at a time. If the old leads are stuck on, remember to twist and pull them by the boot. I know that's not written very well, but I'm tired. Hope it helps anyway.

leolass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina '95
Thanks Flak, appreciate your detailed explanation.
sorry wraith if I upset you was not intentional

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
I personally went plat+iri NGK plugs with 9mm top gun leads. Last longer and more heat resistant.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
no need to remove the alternator can run them through the area they need to go without any real hassles

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
Thanks Flak, appreciate your detailed explanation.

No worries mate.

no need to remove the alternator can run them through the area they need to go without any real hassles

Yeah, you don't have to remove it. I meant you just unbolt it all except the positive and negative wires on the back. I just unbolt it and sit it back a little as it makes it so much easier swap them, saves trying to shove the boots through the hole underneath it. Easier to make it neat. Run the wires under there and chuck a little cable tie on the drivers side just as they come off the manifold to keep them neat.

Oh and just in case you didn't realise, you have to remove the engine cover and slip the belt off the alternator pulley, or the idler first, whatever is easier. Draw a pic of where the belt goes first, just in case it falls. And while you're there, you might as well take off the plastic intake tube closest to the throttle body, and spray a little carby/throttle body cleaner in there, and wipe the butterfly, especially the back. 10 seconds of spraying all up will be heaps. It will make it a little harder to start the first time, then run a little rough, just rev it a bit and it'll be fine in 10-15 seconds. And finally, since the belt is off, inspect it for cracks, and spin each pulley individually to see if they are free, smooth and silent.

Don't stress if you break the plastic lead holders, they often break. Try pry them open carefully with a small flat blade screwdriver. Just take your time, be observant and neat and you'll do an awesome job. Let us know if you have any more questions or get stuck though.

Hm, that was kinda a lot, but yeah, take your time and think about it, and you'll do great :)

leolass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina '95
Flak, thanks for your vote of confidence but you lost me at plastic intake tube. :hmmm:
Will see how I go and hope I have no problems or I'll be hollering for more than a marshal.

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
Flak, thanks for your vote of confidence but you lost me at plastic intake tube.
Will see how I go and hope I have no problems or I'll be hollering for more than a marshal.

Haha no worries.

And ok, unclip the top of the airbox, take off the wiring plug on the airbox and the one intake tube/pipe thing that comes off it and goes to the throttle body. Take off the engine cover if you haven't already, then undo the clamp at the end of the tube, and it'll all pull off.