Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking Clutch fluid

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
Hey guys, my old vx is leaking clutch fluid bad, like i can fill it up, and drive to town and back (20km round trip) and when i get back its near empty, could the slave cylinder be stuffed or could just the hoses be stuff connecting it all?

Thanks in advance

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The slave cylinder is subject to the most heat and crap, so I'd be looking at that first.

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
Car has done 260ks so i was asumming it was going to be the slave cylinder and thats where i was going to start at, was just curious if anyone else may have thought it could have been something else, thanks for your help

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
I'd be looking at the master cylinder as it's a lot easier to get to than the slave cylinder. Agree that it is most likely to be the slave.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
wouldn't be hard to spot if there that much fluid leaking, check for wet hoses and all the couplings too.

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
You'd notice if it was master there'd be **** on your carpet where your pedals are . Slave is cheap to reco or replace and easy to get to dont bother going to mechanic

profat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic model
At 260k I would replace both just to be on the safe side. Whilst its most likely the slave cylinder..... the pressure of fitting a new unit could cause the master cylinder to fail in the near future.....(the optimal word here is Could)

Whitesack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S
Thanks heaps guys, an I don't think ill do the master cylinder at the moment, I'll just do slave for now, and I'll be doing it myself not going to a mechanic that's for sure haha

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
First thing to do would be to check if there are any leaks at the slave cylinder (actually called a clutch actuating cylinder in the V6). The "slave" cylinder has an hydraulic connection from the master cylinder, and a valve bleed to get any air out of the system when the fluid is replaced. Make sure it's not leaking from either place.