Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leaking Coolant Inlet (Not gasket)

JohnnyB97

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ
Hi everyone.
Recently replaced my coolant inlet gasket on a LE0 alloytec after doing another job that required its removal.

Ever since then I haven't been able to seal it off properly. Long story made short I think it may be coming from one of the bolts.

I'm just wondering, is there a some sort of bolt seal tube piece that sits in the threads of the inlet like pictured below? Already tried thread sealer and gasket maker. If there is, what exactly do you call it because I've search every term I could think of and it's probably something so obvious
Cheers to anyone that puts their 2 cents in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220713-165502_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220713-165502_Chrome.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 107

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hi everyone.
Recently replaced my coolant inlet gasket on a LE0 alloytec after doing another job that required its removal.

Ever since then I haven't been able to seal it off properly. Long story made short I think it may be coming from one of the bolts.

I'm just wondering, is there a some sort of bolt seal tube piece that sits in the threads of the inlet like pictured below? Already tried thread sealer and gasket maker. If there is, what exactly do you call it because I've search every term I could think of and it's probably something so obvious
Cheers to anyone that puts their 2 cents in.
The o ring should seal it up and nothing is required on the bolts IIRC. Having said that when I did my SV6 seals I put silicone sealant (gasket maker) on the o ring (underneath and on top) to make sure it sealed well and proper.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
The o ring should seal it up and nothing is required on the bolts IIRC. Having said that when I did my SV6 seals I put silicone sealant (gasket maker) on the o ring (underneath and on top) to make sure it sealed well and proper.
I agree, I put nothing on the bolts and no sealant on the rubber squigly washer but I did make sure it was thoroughly clean.
Or maybe I put some rubber grease on the squigly.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
did you replace both 0-rings
the round standard style and the kite shape in your photo

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
When I did my Adventra chains,
I had that exact same gasket/seal/o-rings to replace,

I also used gasket cement on the gasket/seal/o-rings, and on the bolts,
And it has not leaked at either location.

JohnnyB97

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ
Cheers guys for the replies. I've done it both ways , tried with gasket maker and without and still same result. Torqued correctly too.
However I've done some more digging around and found this.
I'm wondering if this isn't a serviceable part and something that's just pressed in from factory that seal around the pitch thread of the bolt. #6 on the diagram I'm referring too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220713-190526_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220713-190526_Chrome.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 94

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s not a seal. They are pressed in plastic shims and have probably come out. The bolts don’t leak. If coolant is coming out, it’s either cracked or it’s leaking from the seals. Has to get past the seal to leak from the bolt.