Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

leaking rear axle

mahooody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III ute ecotec
my rear axle has a leak comin from the axle seal, it started leaking after i had the axle out i have pulled it apart and put it back together and it still leaks so i thinks its time for a new seal and was wondering what the best way of getting the seal off would be and help would be awesome

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd imagine you have non-IRS so you need to remove the axle, remove old bearing and seal with chisel etc then replace with new bearing and seal. Sometimes its easier to get a complete axle from a wrecker.
Good Luck.

mahooody

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III ute ecotec
yeah its the live axle, i have the axle out i just need to know how to remove the bearing i spose would need some sort of puller

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You need to remove the bearing retaining collar by drilling into it then splitting with a cold chisel - then you can slip the bearing and seal off - you do not need a puller.
Putting it back together is basically the reverse except that to put the retaining collar back on you need a decent press - usually Repco or someone like that can do this press bit for you.