Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

leaky trans pan gaskit

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
hi guys,
my trans pan gasket (cork) is leaking. can i just tighten the bolts up a bit till the leak stops or is the cork like a blown head gaskit? eg will it just keep leaking no matter what and the only way to fix it is to go and buy a new one.
thanks, garth.

F

Frd_thmsn

Worth a shot .
But if you havent given your transmission a service for a while might be a good time to replace it anyway.The gasket and filter are about $20 and another $20 or so for trans fluid.

R

rattattack1313

As Fred said, should probably do a service on it......loosen all the bolts, (with a pan underneath to catch the fluid), and leave the 2 rear bolts 1/2 done ...remove the other bolts, and the sump-pan will drop at the front, letting most of the fluid out.......THEN remove the rear 2 bolts....remove old filter thingie......put new one in, with new "O" ring........ new gasket.....tighten bolts...fill with correct amount of fluid....test....check fluid levels........ go to fridge and get a cold beer and congratulate yourself on a job well done....... :thumbsup: :drink: :thumbsup:

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
been there done that!
i got bloody trans fluid in my hair! not fun. almost as enjoyable as an oil change!
i have changed the filter and fluid very recently so i dont want ot have to pull the pan off again. just wondering if the bloody cork will keep on leaking no matter how tight the bolts are. i wonder why they used a cork gaskit? why not a rubber ring like on a rocker cover.

R

rattattack1313

If the gasket is gone, no amount of tightening it will fix it....... replace , mate.... a bugger of a job, but gotta be done....... :thumbsup:

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
by "gone" do you mean broken? because the gaskit is spanking new its just that when i put the pan back on i didnt want to tigten the bolts too much because it could split the gaskit. so i undertightened the bolts and the gaskit is leaking. now can i just give them a tighten (to specified torque) and the leak will stop? or will the leak continue till i replace the gaskit?

F

Frd_thmsn

Sorry when I read you had a leaking gasket I just assumed you meant it just started leaking or something, yes probably a good idea to try and tighten it if you left them loose :)
Did you clean all the old crap of the pan when you did the service.
The only way to know if its still gonna leak is check after you,ve tightened them.
Sometimes you'll find the cork gaskets can be better than some of the newer rubber ones too I think the cork ones they give you with the sump, is one of those composite things that look like they have little bits of rubber embedded in it. I don,t mind cork gaskets really.

R

rattattack1313

You could have said all that in the earlier post, mate...... tighten it to specified torque........see what happens.....& as Fred says, cork gaskets are good.................

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
pure cork gaskets will weep a little, due to their porous nature, rubberised cork gaskets however are not porous. i am pretty sure that most tranny service kits are pure cork, so how bad is the leak and on a last note, cork gaskets dont like to be squeezed too hard, especially when they are that thick.

F

Frd_thmsn

rattattack1313 said:
You could have said all that in the earlier post, mate...... tighten it to specified torque........see what happens.....& as Fred says, cork gaskets are good.................

Totally agree. You don,t know how much I wanted to type what you did in your reply :) But I didn,t want to get any more Fred haters out there :).