Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leather handbrake fitment - VX Monaro

MonaroGTO-NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden Monaro GTO VX
Hey I need to tidy up the handbrake on my vx Monaro. The button and bezel were missing when purchased so past owners have been butchering the end of the handbrake handle.
I’ve managed to find a button and bezel that I believe are for the car but can’t see how the bezel attaches? I’m thinking the two clips lock in to maybe the leather covers inner tube? Or do they just hook the leather end where it gets rolled over?

Attachments

• IMG_2227.jpeg
    IMG_2227.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2228.jpeg
    IMG_2228.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2238.jpeg
    IMG_2238.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2239.jpeg
    IMG_2239.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2240.jpeg
    IMG_2240.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0418.jpeg
    IMG_0418.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 77

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
The bezel clips into the folded over leather lip. Your worn out sample might not help. The bezel clips also break just looking at them and really only go on once, a good cover anyway. It then slides over the handle and simply sits there.

MonaroGTO-NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Holden Monaro GTO VX
The bezel clips into the folded over leather lip. Your worn out sample might not help. The bezel clips also break just looking at them and really only go on once, a good cover anyway. It then slides over the handle and simply sits there.
That’s great thanks - I’ll look at getting a new leather cover

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
I have a few, probably more online.

02Monaro

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Series 1 V2 Monaro
Let me know how you go getting it to fit. I bought a new bezel for my Monaro but it just won't sit right. I've got a lever and cover from the later models I may fit just because I hate the way the bezel sits.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
I have a few on ebay. I had to keep buying complete and expensive handbrakes to end up with even more broken chrome bezels from sellers who acted dumb to get a sale. Still searching.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
When it comes time to pop the ring bezel in the end, don't just push it in and try to clip it. That's how it simply breaks off. Removing it the same way will have same result. What you do, sometimes pull the boot off slightly to give more empty handle to work with, is to squeeze it out of shape, then pop the bezel in and release. It is now installed.

I just did this photo for a quick example but if you look at upper photos there is a slot in the handbrake on each side so really you want to squeeze the top and bottom to pop the bezel in to match, then slide boot back down onto handle again. I simply had a spare leather cover lying on table sideways, but in the car you'd still want it to bulge the sides out to install.

You can actually see the mark inside the sleeve where the previous bezel mounted, so still well inside the leather wrap lip.

https://flic.kr/p/2oLfkyE] 20230629_191914[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/196419001@N03/]Ben[/url], on Flickr

Last edited:

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Never mind. I installed a NOS bezel and drove the car twice and it was broken. Just a terrible design, and the tiny tabs are pathetic and can't be fixed with their sharp shoulders that are waiting to break at that point. They could have been 3x as wide with curved ends to match. I have enough broken spares that I'm going to try and reattach the tabs with wire inserted, it won't last, but neither do the originals and chrome have long been used up new and available.

The market has room for a non-original reproduction that vastly improves the stock item. Just like the flimsy VT-VX headlight switch or mirror switch, direct copies are not what's needed, except in selling them regularly.

Last edited: