Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Led headlights

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Smoke is never normal.
Unless you have a fire. Smoke is very normal for fire.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Led headlight globes are illegal....
Forget about the issue of blinding oncoming cars, if your car actually burns down, i wonder whether the insurance company would investigate the cause and what they'd say on the matter of illegal mod if they determined such were being used?

As to what casued the smoke, most likely your CAN bus thingamagigy is getting very hold and melting any plastic it's in contact with. Some of those CANbus LED globe adapters/error cancellers (resistors really?) need to be bolted to something large and metalic to act as a heat sink so as to keep them cool...

Mp64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Led headlight globes are illegal....
Forget about the issue of blinding oncoming cars, if your car actually burns down, i wonder whether the insurance company would investigate the cause and what they'd say on the matter of illegal mod if they determined such were being used?

As to what casued the smoke, most likely your CAN bus thingamagigy is getting very hold and melting any plastic it's in contact with. Some of those CANbus LED globe adapters/error cancellers (resistors really?) need to be bolted to something large and metalic to act as a heat sink so as to keep them cool...
Are they not legal if they are within the legal lumen range?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

No, for Off Road Use Only, in accordance with ADR's...
Lots of people use them.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Sadly it’s not that simple...

The headlamp assembly is certified to a certain standard along with the standard globes it‘s designed to use. Using another type of globe in a certified headlamp assembly means the assembly is no longer certified.

I have yet to see a LED globe that is certified for use in as a replacement to an incandescent globe regardless of the lumens output of the LED globe. I suspect even those high power incandescent white glacier bla bla bla globes are skirting on being illegal...

BrettP75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais S1 6.0Ltr
In fairness though if you were ever pulled over you could argue that nowhere in NSW legislation does it state that led headlights are illegal. Under NSW roads and transport regulations part 7 lights and reflectors it mentions lights must be white and angled down as not to dazzle oncoming drivers