Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LED install help in joining to driving lights S2 omega

VP_belina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
i got some led strips and am going to install them on the bars in the fog light section, in the instructions they say its better to remove the front bar to get access, but that seems a bit far, i am sure i should be able to put the lught on and then feed the wire up to the back of the headlights, and then maybe get access to the drivin lights so i can join the wires but following the instructions in the car how to book, which goes on about pulling out the water fill tube and removing the airbox to get access to the right hand side,

has anyone done this witth any tips?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I strongly suggest that you obtain a copy of the ADR's (Australian Design Rules) Australian Design Rules particularly in relation to lights on vehicles. Study them closely as what you are proposing MAY be illegal. You cannot have more than two (2) headlights operating simultaenously (at the same time - this includes FOG LIGHTS) unless (UNLESS) you are operating on high beam. Generally (probably ALL States) it is illegal to operate the high beam whilst motoring in a 'built-up area' (A built-up area generally means an 'urban area' NOT agricultural/rural). There is however an exception in relation to day time running lights (DRL's) but they CANNOT be operated in conjunction WITH headlights. Basically it is virtually impossible (under current regulations) to make many modifications to a vehicle for use on a road. With strict controls and enforcement in regards to exhausts (no modifications unless engineer approved - as it means changes to the Pollution (and noise) Controls), fuel air intake (Pollution Controls), wheels/tyres (in accordance with Manufacturer's Tyre Placards) , Suspensions (modifications prohibited on vehicles with any form of Stability Control), etc.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
For original equipment installations, (i.e. new vehicles) DRLs must switch on automatically when the vehicle starts and may stay on while the ignition is switched on. However for aftermarket installations Queensland legislation requires that they be off when headlights are lit.

The following extract from Queensland’s Traffic Operations Road Use Management - Vehicle Standards and Safety Regulation 2012 outlines DRL operational and installation requirements.

Daytime running lights

A pair of daytime running lights may be fitted to a motor vehicle.

A pair of daytime running lights fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels must be fitted with the centre of each light:

(a) at least 600mm from the centre of the other light; and
(b) not over 510mm from the nearer side of the vehicle.

However, a pair of daytime running lights fitted to a motor vehicle under 1300mm wide may be fitted with the centre of each light not under 400mm from the centre of the other light.

When on, a daytime running light must:

(a) show a white or yellow light visible from the front of the vehicle; and
(b) not use over 25W.

Daytime running lights must be wired so they are off when a headlight, other than a headlight being used as a flashing signal, is on.

DRL kits for retrofitting should comply with ADR 76/00 or ECE R87.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
IMO Mate dont stress about the ADR's, just about any mod is illegal these days. Also don't remove you front bumper just pull out the fog light inserts then dangle the wires down behind the headlights.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I am not that fussed about ADRs either so long as the mod is sensible, professional and effective. The mod he is doing may or may not be illegal, but its likely he isn't going to run into any problems unless he does it badly. Wiring it correctly is a good start, no good drawing unnecessary attention is it?

It goes to the OPs post.. how does he wire them? To the parking lights, or even straight to the ignition with a relay to kill them when the headlights are turned on.

Also, my post was QLD rules. You would be best calling your local transport dept. to confirm in your own state.

Last edited:

VP_belina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
lots of info there, much apperciated, has anyone gained access tot he back of the headlights and if so is it easier to just unscrew the headlights and tak them out of the vechile? is it just the top two screws ont he lights that do this or is there more to it then that?

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Nar there are also some bolts behind the front bar.

VP_belina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
.........................dang