Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Leds... wire series?

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
its me again,
is there anyway i can use a stronger resistor to make the LEDs duller as ther way to bright and they are blinding at night,
would i use a lower rated resistor like 140 or somethink? ive got 180 in at the momenet

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Higher the resistence, the duller the light will be.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
What FXST01 said - Increase resistance to decrease current.

(you've got LEDs which are particularly high brightness there, so it's likely you will have to pass a bit less current thru them. I'd suggest aim for about 10mA or even possibly a bit less.)

I'd try the 560 ohm and see how it goes, given the other figures here that will allow about 6mA to flow through the LEDs. If it's still too bright, add more resistors in series - just add the value of each resistor in the string to come up with the total. If it's not bright enough with the 560 ohm, then lash out on a couple of different values - say a 270 ohm, a 330 ohm, maybe even a 390 ohm as well. Have fun, experiment! ;) (just don't blow yourself up!)

Cheerz!

Just remember the simple rule - for a fixed voltage (electrical "pressure"), the current (the actual electricity "flow") is limited by the resistance, and they work against each other - more resistance, less current.

Just for reference, blue LEDs lose about 3V, up to 3.3 maybe.

millencolin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Exec 3.8L V6
VL Berlina 5speed said:
he said they were something like 550's, are these ok?

hey hope the project is going well
sorry no inslut intended but thought it was very funny when u tried to describe the resistors.......ohh congrats now u know ohms law.

cheers
Al

ssn8r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS Supercharged
connect a 330ohm resistor to the negative of the led and you can fire it up on 12v without worries

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Keep the 180Ohm resistor and add in a 500Ohm potentiometer.

This will allow you to go as dim as you want or as bright as the 180.

As a note...do not remove that 180 resistor altogether. Other wise each resistor is going to find about 4 volts up it's backside....This MAY be ok but it will definetly decrease the life span of the LED and be WAY to bright.