Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

legality

DZIRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY SS 5.7 A4
Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows the legality of 20s on a VY SS , i was told its 2 inches bigger than the original wheels fitted to the car provided the rolling diameter stays within a certain percentage ??

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Hey guys just wondering if anyone knows the legality of 20s on a VY SS , i was told its 2 inches bigger than the original wheels fitted to the car provided the rolling diameter stays within a certain percentage ??

Keep the rolling diameter the same you will be fine.

oscar03

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY ss hothouse green
i had 20's and got rid of them the profile was to low and made the ride crap also our road is bump and full of pot holes and the wife buckled both left ones. might not have happened if i had 19 like i do now. as far as lagality what wraith said. i remember reading one of the tyre experts on here saying it on another thread.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Yeah as mentioned above, its the over all rolling diameter. But its a weird law.. I needed a pinkslip not long ago so I drove to my mechanics after work to book it in the next day and said to him I'll go home this arvo and take my 20's off and put stockies on for the inspection and he informed me that he cant fail my car based on my wheel size providing there was sufficient rubber on them.

But once I left the workshop and hit the road a cop can defect me for it :/

So all I have done (which im sure wont work) is get a tyre placard from a VE and stuck it to my door jam just in case a cop pulls me up...

murph_1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
lets say your maximum tyre size on the placard is 235/45 R17

convert 17 inches to millimetres then you can go 45% bigger on that size as a total rolling diameter. so you can have big #### off wheels and rubber band tyres.

i am talking about the laws in sa before anyone says anything

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
2 inches up from what the car comes out stock is what a cop will go by.. And thats an Australian standard....