Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

License converstion interstate

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
Either moving to to nsw, qld or nt soon, depending on where i land my job.

It's been looking like qld a bit, they keepm essing me around on license conversion. One of my mates got disqualified from driving, went up there and applied for a license.

They checked his history and due to a loophole of the court disqualifying him here or something, and qld specifying that it must be removed by an order of australia court which this one wasnt, he got issued with a qld license based on what his license was here according to transport SA.

He got issued with a full unrestricted license.

Few other people i know have gove interstate on p's and had theirs converted to higher grade licenses as we have (til july) no restrictions.

Ive been getting onto nsw and qld, my license according to SA cannot be converted or modified in anyway for 3 years from when i won my appeal against charges last year.

Im meant to be on my p's til 23 p2's til 24. Spoke to the other states they reckon thats crap, i go somewhere else i have to convert my license in 3 months..... and ic ant get a straight answer out of any of them for what ill be converted to.

The only guy i can get a hold of at transport qld is telling me i will get the same i have here.. which according to him means i will be given red p's.... restricted to driving in daylight and banned from driving my own car.

I explain to him ive held my license for 3 years, have even been on p2's... and got regressed but on paper have still held my license over 2 years, and no restrictions and my cars illegal for a p plater in their state.

Got told, oh well when you move here, explain this to whoever serves you and u might get lucky, but we're not telling you until you hand over your license.

Anyone know how to get a straight answer out of any of the states on what i would be converted to?

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
why should you be any differnet to anyone else?
if you have P's, then im guessing you ahve P's in other states.

(and pretty sure you have to be a resident of the state for X amount of time?)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
The only guy i can get a hold of at transport qld is telling me i will get the same i have here.. which according to him means i will be given red p's.... restricted to driving in daylight and banned from driving my own car.

Anyone know how to get a straight answer out of any of the states on what i would be converted to?

sounds to me like you got a straight answer. just depends on whether you wanna hear it or not.

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
ok... im not for special treatment and ****. they are saying i get same as i have here.

So from their wording there... i should be able to keep driving my car and drive it at night.

Not have it downgraded to not driving at night & to use their words 'have to sell your car'

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
its a circus isn't it? i've heard similar stories about people going interstate on P's and getting a full licence when they transfer it over, a mate got P's in qld then came back to nsw within 2 years at the most and got a full licence, lucky bastard.

what i can tell ya about getting a qld licence, all i had to do was get a form from the transport dept, write my address on it and get someone whose licence has the same address fill out their name and licence number on it, like a statutory declaration u might say. no questions about how long i had been in qld or anything. this is handy if u cant provide proof of address like a bill, rent paperwork etc with your name on it.

with the 'explain it to whoever serves u and u might get lucky' bit. if they're a prick, pretend u forgot ya wallet and walk out, try the next transport dept down the road

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
lol, well i got a solution which worked for me. i woulda been on my p's till i was 27 (its a long story, dont ask) so instead i went to england, after a year you change your aussie licence with the DVLA there and you are instantly full licence.

the suckful thing is if i hadve come back on my probationary period here in vic, i woulda gone straight back on ps' :( but you can drive here for up to 6 moths on the UK licence.

david dubbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx gen111 wagon
this has been a problem since day dot. When I was 16 I went to S.A and got my license then came straight home to W.A. I had it for 7 months before the W.A court was able to take it off me then because I lived 1.5 hours out of town and had to drive 45 km on a gravel road they issued me a extra ordinary license to just drive that bit of road then I joined the navy and lived in Vic,N.S.W and W.a and had a license in every state. This was brilliant because it was in the days before computers and the states didnt check on each other so if you got pulled over in W.A you gave the copper a licence from another state and it was to hard for them to do anything so they just let you go.

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
its a circus isn't it? i've heard similar stories about people going interstate on P's and getting a full licence when they transfer it over, a mate got P's in qld then came back to nsw within 2 years at the most and got a full licence, lucky bastard.

what i can tell ya about getting a qld licence, all i had to do was get a form from the transport dept, write my address on it and get someone whose licence has the same address fill out their name and licence number on it, like a statutory declaration u might say. no questions about how long i had been in qld or anything. this is handy if u cant provide proof of address like a bill, rent paperwork etc with your name on it.

with the 'explain it to whoever serves u and u might get lucky' bit. if they're a prick, pretend u forgot ya wallet and walk out, try the next transport dept down the road

the problem im facing is.. this is one of hte determening factors of where i go.... i cant go somewhere where, 3 months in i get the license downgraded and then cant drive or work at night.

All these places are telling me the only way to find out is once ive HANDED my license over to them.

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
.... you change to a new state you run by that states rules...... dont like it, dont move.

OR, go work in that state, but keep your rego etc in whatever state your in now.

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
.... you change to a new state you run by that states rules...... dont like it, dont move.

OR, go work in that state, but keep your rego etc in whatever state your in now.

ive been told what hte penalties are if your in a state more then 3 months wihtout transferring, i dont want to risk it