Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Limited Slips Diffs Cone/plate

A

andrewro

Gday,

I have had a few different cars with LSD and some seems to work really well and other are a bit one and off, so looking for some advice.

I had an old 5 series BM that I converted to a 3.5 litre, manual box and LSD. The LSD was smooth, progressive and totally predictable.

I then had a company VT and ordered it with a LSD (mmmm free tyres) and when I got it I thought the LSD was stuffed as it would allow one wheel to spin to oblivion without any hint of locking it up and other times it would lock up tight.

Spoke to Dealer and they replaced it - no change.

When I went back one of the consultant took me aside and said "look they are a 60' cone design LSD that require a fair bit of load on BOTH WHEELS to lock it up, so if you have very little grip on one wheel it will not grab and hence not work !" He explained that other diffs have multiple 'plates' and these work really (like the Hydrotrak that Holden released and the BMs) but are more $$ so Holden do not offer them.

How can I get a predictable LSD to give me the sideways action that I need.

I have a VXII wagon

menzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 Omega
i have a vr sedan and will be putting in a "Kaaz" diff..... put the power on and they lock release the power and your free as a bird

only thing is that there about 2 grand

A

andrewro

Thanks for that I have had a look at them and looks to be a clutch type which from my understanding is always slightly engaged (which is not a problem unless maybe you are on ice) and the most progressive as it does not have to have a certain load condition to occur before it starts working. I am struggling to find the sort of LSD that comes standard on a commodore as this is the one that needs a bit of load to engage and can let one wheel spin 100%.

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
The type of diff that resides underneath your VX11 is a Borg Warner M80 which i believe stands for 8" Crownwheel. these LSD's are a cone type with very little pre-load because of their use in IRS vehicles. These diff's can be 'tightened' up but requires removal from vehicle and they seem to wear very quickly because of their design. A KAAZ plate type LSD is made to suit your vehicle and yes these diff's have very little pre-load aswell but have a lot more friction material surface area ie. more to bite into and lock up. You can pay to tighten up you std LSD and have anywhere from 2-7months of hard core sideways around roundabout action but more load (spinning 2 wheels) equals more wear. Also the diff's in the VL(some)-VS models are BW78's, if anyone knows of a KAAZ LSD to suit these vehicles or the EF-EL models please post a reply.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Or maybe you could just get a car with power, that way you dont need to change anything :p

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
Yeah still won't help the diff breaking out though. I've seen cars with plenty of power going round in large circles cause of worn out LSD's so the power output is not the problem here Minux