Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Limits of twin 2.25" exhaust

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yeah I do have a mig. But building a header back exhaust dual pipe with diff hoops on your back isn't my idea of fun.

Just support the system with jack stands and tack it all up in sections. Drop the sections out and weld the sections on a bench.
I usually buy most my stuff off performance exhaust on the net or a few others.
I make all my systems using mandrel bends it's easy to weld once its all tacked.

H

harrop.senator

It's not the first time I've done one , I did a lobster bent 3" system for a mates Navara a month ago.

I just don't like the idea of figuring out myself where it all fits , two cats , two mufflers , 2 hotdogs .

2.5" donuts are $50 a pop I'd need four I reckon if I didn't diff dump it , I'd need minimum of 8 flanges at $20 EA. There's $360 before I value any of my time , getting the truck out to go buy a 7m length of mild , drop dead blades , gas wire etc.

I'll probably fit the ghetto dual pipe with single cat and do one pipe at a time while the rest is hung and leave the crush bent diff hoops.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It's not the first time I've done one , I did a lobster bent 3" system for a mates Navara a month ago.

I just don't like the idea of figuring out myself where it all fits , two cats , two mufflers , 2 hotdogs .

2.5" donuts are $50 a pop I'd need four I reckon if I didn't diff dump it , I'd need minimum of 8 flanges at $20 EA. There's $360 before I value any of my time , getting the truck out to go buy a 7m length of mild , drop dead blades , gas wire etc.

I'll probably fit the ghetto dual pipe with single cat and do one pipe at a time while the rest is hung and leave the crush bent diff hoops.

So go pay the shop then.

H

harrop.senator

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I said I'd do if I didn't try and improve the one I have....

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
VU is IRS, no diff hoops needed. Surely you can buy a cheap 2 1/2" twin. Even the V8 cats will be close, you just need to add a bit after the headers as they are shorter than V8 ones. You would only need to weld a short piece to the headers with a 2 bolt flange that bolts to the front of the cats.

H

harrop.senator

It's in my vs man I've already got twin 2.25's on the exes vu.

That's what I did with her's , got a sedan one for $50 , made the twin cat pipes and welded a twin in/out chamber and extended it in the rear.

H

harrop.senator

Is the underside similar enough to find a cheap twin 2.5 irs system hang it , diff dump it and then build cat pipes to mate from the headers? Or is the underside quite different between them?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
They'd be close enough. The hangers are different though, not hard to make some to suit an IRS exhaust. There is a bucket load of room on the utes. I think Manta might even make a twin system for them still. But they are horribly expensive. *Edit, just had a look, they don't.

H

harrop.senator

Yeah hangers I've got no issues with. I've made lobster exhausts and intercooler piping before I just really CBF making one from scratch in the car port.

Sounds like I'll try find a cheap twin it's exhaust and diff dump it. Fit flanges on the down turn incase I want to make diff hoops .

I don't have a band saw anymore and hate cutting donuts with a grinder lol. I may be able to get them clamped standing up in the drop saw and cut them in half. But I don't think I've got the reach.

If I've got the X section there making cat pipes will be fairly easy.