Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Liquid LPG injection

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
I know what you're talking about. Apparently LPG as a gas or vapour is harsh on the valve seats. The way around this is to install a "flash lube kit". Since LPG is maintained as a liquid in my system its no longer a problem. Another advantage of LPGLI... along with extra power, torque, economy and reliability :) .......(apparently!) :whistling

so it 4800 - the governement rebate?

pk2k78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
so it 4800 - the governement rebate?

Yeah so its costing me $2800 after the grant :)

I've done the sums. I will save approx $2600 per year after the conversion based on 480kms per week :):w00t:

Flat_White

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rolls Royce "Fantom"
My conversion to mixer LPG cost 3000dollars exactly minus 2000 federal, 1000 state rebates..
In total got it for zilch.

So far it has run fine, just unsure as to whether it is damaging valves or not..

But for free, you cant really go wrong.

It was the fact that VY's could be cheaply and easily converted to LPG, that made me choose it over a VZ.

bajdas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim wagon
Duno if this is a dumb question or not but doesnt petrol lubricate the top of the bore with the small amount of oil in it?? If so how does gas do this? Im guessing an additive allready in it of some sort? How will this gas affect the life of the alloytec engine?? i just know a few people with cars that the engine has s*** it self after about 30000 klicks since the install. But These were on a VT and an old buick VR.

I had the same concerns as yourself.

But I understand the injected gas systems (eg VZ V6) start on petrol until the engine reaches a certain temperature or revs. Then it automatically changes to gas.

So the upper cylinders are lubricated at each startup for a few kilometres.

Couriers I have worked for say they do this manually & they have had no issues for many kilometres.

But I admit I am waiting until 2009 until I convert my 2005 VZ acclaim V6 commodore. Some people would have clicked ov er 30000 by then on gas.

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Yeah but if you only give the upper cylinders 5mins of petrol a day is that enough??

If you want a long lasting, properly functioning petrol system, run the car on petrol for one day a week in addition to cold-starts (that's what we do). Otherwise you risk premature fuel pump failure and clogged injectors.

A Flash Lube drip kit is cheap insurance if you're still worried about VSR.

Regards,
Dave

Flat_White

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rolls Royce "Fantom"
If you want a long lasting, properly functioning petrol system, run the car on petrol for one day a week in addition to cold-starts (that's what we do). Otherwise you risk premature fuel pump failure and clogged injectors.

A Flash Lube drip kit is cheap insurance if you're still worried about VSR.

Regards,
Dave

Should i worry about it?

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Should i worry about it?

About lubrication/conditioning of the petrol system or Valve Seat Recession? Both are separate issues.

Regards,
Dave

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Should i worry about it?

No, the idea is to save money, running your car on petrol for one day a week....that soon adds up, and could pay for many injector cleans.....if you ever need them! Premature fuel pump failure? why, isnt it going all the time anyway and petrol cars that only get driven five minutes a day dont seem to need fuel pump replacements.
Keep the petrol tank 1/4 full, Run it on petrol for 5 to 10 minutes per week, its no different to a petrol car that just gets driven for 10 minutes once per week.