Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Liquid LPG injection

pk2k78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Yeah just regular pump gas. Whats the difference?

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
pump gas is a mixture of propane and butane, has a octane rating of 104 ron. Straight propane has a rating of 110ron.

My car gets done in a few weeks and i plan on getting it dyno'd on all 3 fuels ( PULP, pumpgas and propane) just to see the diffrence.

sepia

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
hi guys,
i am looking to upgrade to a vz but want to gas it if i did? i am hearinf that the VZ cant handle gas. this has come from holden and most converters. how is it that you guys have done it and how are you finding it? more interested in how many klms you have run on the car on gas also as the claims are that after 20 clicks problems start surfacing?
thanks

poweredbycng

Reaction score
hi guys,
i am looking to upgrade to a vz but want to gas it if i did? i am hearinf that the VZ cant handle gas. this has come from holden and most converters. how is it that you guys have done it and how are you finding it? more interested in how many klms you have run on the car on gas also as the claims are that after 20 clicks problems start surfacing?
thanks

This has been discussed at length for years now. If you have the "E10-compatible" sticker inside your petrol filler door, your engine has hardened valve seats that are suitable LPG operation. Our MY2005 VZ SV6 has been running perfectly with a SprintGas SVI system for over 20,000km now. It has been regularly serviced (as per log book and LPG kit intervals) and has never missed a beat (apart from a water pump dying recently but that definitely wasn't LPG-related). Fuel consumption is around 13.5L/100km on average (550km+ per 75L tank of fuel) compared to 11.5L/100km on 98RON PULP under the same driving conditions (33% freeway, the rest suburban and city) We fill with LPG on average every 600-650km, so we put a fair bit of petrol through the engine just to make sure everything keeps on running like it should.

Would I recommend LPG conversions for VZs? YOU BET!

I am seeing an increasing number of VZ LPG taxis on the road too.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

sepia

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
excellent thanks for the response. i am a little concerned now why i got the reply from holden that no it was not recommended to run LPG on VZ's. Also leaves me lost as to why the VE gets a special enhine if you order it new from factory with a fitted lpg system.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Also leaves me lost as to why the VE gets a special enhine if you order it new from factory with a fitted lpg system.

they dont, lpg is fitted to the engine after the car is built, its fitted at HSVi

poweredbycng

Reaction score
they dont, lpg is fitted to the engine after the car is built, its fitted at HSVi

The same option was available for VZs as well - for $3900!!

MY2005 VZ Commodores and later had "E10-compatible" engines, so the majority of Alloytec engines are fine for LPG.

Regards,
Dave

poweredbycng

Reaction score
what about ecotecs and engine wear with LPG?

Ecotecs = No problem.

The majority of dramas that people experience with LPG & Ecotecs is backfiring. If you have a reasonably late model VY or similar then I would suggest opting for an SVI setup.

Regards,
Dave