Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Little help? What engine is this????

Dube

Reaction score
Members Ride
RB
There's easy ways to stop the 3 litre patrols from going bang. Do some research and save your money.

If your talking about NADS than yes. But there are other things that fail too, that NADS don't cover. The thing is I have the money to get something with a LS2 which would be much preferred to a 3.0l any day. Most likely for much less than it would cost for me to do a conversion or even add NADS to an dying Patrol... Or that is what I am thinking anyway.... Wouldn't a LS2 be much better than a 3.0l patched up with NADS?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Why would you pull a diesel out and put a petrol in? Hell if you were going to go stupid chuck a duramax in with the allison transmission. More tourqe then you can handle and at least it's still a diesel. Just FYI we have a patrol and have done all the modifications needed. Suprise suprise no over boosting.

JustDylan

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina
Where are you planning to go that you would need a worked LS2 for? Mordor?

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Patrols are built for high ks.

I know 2 of them:
A 91 4.2l diesel one met it's fate with water in the cylinders while 4wding at 350k
A 98 3l tdi one still going strong with well over 200k
Both on original engines.

Stroking any engine is going to reduce your reliability. The engineers specd it based on the size. They didn't just put extra metal there for fun

Dube

Reaction score
Members Ride
RB
Why would you pull a diesel out and put a petrol in? Hell if you were going to go stupid chuck a duramax in with the allison transmission. More tourqe then you can handle and at least it's still a diesel. Just FYI we have a patrol and have done all the modifications needed. Suprise suprise no over boosting.

I am not converting it. Just looking at ones around that have already been converted. I would love 6.5 Brunswick, just out of my price range. A good 4.2td are as rare as. As far as GU Patrol go with engine conversions that come in at the early $30K' the LS2 seems to me to be the better way to go.

Dube

Reaction score
Members Ride
RB
Patrols are built for high ks.

I know 2 of them:
A 91 4.2l diesel one met it's fate with water in the cylinders while 4wding at 350k
A 98 3l tdi one still going strong with well over 200k
Both on original engines.

Stroking any engine is going to reduce your reliability. The engineers specd it based on the size. They didn't just put extra metal there for fun

Thanks for the info. It's true, you treat these engines, or any engine right and it will go for longer. The 3.0l is well renowned for fails and buying a second hand one where I can't be sure of the previous treatment is too much of a risk if it lets go. Then by the time I would do an engine conversion it would have been cheaper to just buy a GU already converted.

Dube

Reaction score
Members Ride
RB
Where are you planning to go that you would need a worked LS2 for? Mordor?

I think a garden variety LS1/2 would be more than adequate and the GU Patrol drive train would handle that power no probs at all. Perhaps some mods required to the auto tranny. Some of the conversions to LS2's I've seen do have other mods added to them already.

More power is always more. As far as purposeful goes, there are VN's running around with RB30/26 combo + a big arse turbo and welded rear diff only to cruise MacDonald's car parks and pull fully sic elevensies11 on the back roads with a car load of blokes. That just doesn't make sense.

But swapping out an old oiler that has a history of fails for something with more low down grunt, lower emissions, improved towing for a boat or camper trailer, climbing hills, getting to places like the Cape and roostering tsunamis of mud and dirt all the while sounding like the world is coming to an end with a LS2 at full song. Now that makes perfect sense!! :beer chug:

Last edited:

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Sigh I give up. Don't listen to reason. Spend more then you need. Have fun.

jonko

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5 ltr
a guy i know put a LS1 turbo set up in his short wheel base GQ (resently sold) but that was a really reliable 4wd during the week and on weekends it was a MACHINE loved rev limiter it didnt just climb hills it pulled them down endless power and he would still drive it home at the end of the day with no problems, had still the stock diffs ect and they never broke. i'd recomend going a LS1/2

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
3.0's are a waste of time.. If it goes bang replace it. The LS1 conversion is a popular one. As for the 304, that conversion is easy too...