Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

live axle to IRS rear end conversion POSSIBLE ????

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
correct me if I`m wrong but all upper tiers had IRS from berlina/SS up.

executive pov pack had live axle
S pac live with IRS option??
equipe optional??
BT1 either choice of the two differers from respected police dept/state.
SS IRS standard
Berlina IRS standard.
acclaim and so on were IRS.

VT was the first model to have IRS (and ABS) standard across the range.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Only the Stato's, Calais, SS had it standard (and the Acclaims) other than that everything was live axel unless optioned. I don't think Berlina's had IRS

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
My old VR berlina had IRS, yet I hated it mainly because of the Camber looked like the wheels were falling off, my VS has live axle and I prefer it yeah it is not as smooth but I am not always up for tires or stupid alignment kits.

a.j

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore S 5-speed
personally i like my independent VR rear end,

i dont like the look of the lowered IRS, and i dont really want the tyre wear that goes with it.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
I say a VL online recently that had been converted to nissan IRS off a skyline or similar.It was being sold fairly cheaply minus engine and trans. It certainly is do-able, If you have the money to spend on it.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Because if it were an easy swap, IRS is light years ahead of live axle panhard bar setup.. it's a real shame it's such an enormous job to swap to IRS, or I'd have done it looong ago!

Don't get me wrong Sam, I know IRS is definately a better handling car, especially comparing the difference of throwing a solid rear and an IRS car into a corner. IRS shits on solid rears, my comment was merely saying that it's completely not worth transferring different rear suspension set ups, thanks to the different chassis and stuff. If the guy wants an IRS car badly, might as well go and buy one with IRS, not waste time and money putting IRS into a Live Axle chassis and getting it engineered.

personally i like my independent VR rear end,

i dont like the look of the lowered IRS, and i dont really want the tyre wear that goes with it.

Camber correction kit solves all problems mate.

fonzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
Vs berlinas are not standard irs.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Don't get me wrong Sam, I know IRS is definately a better handling car, especially comparing the difference of throwing a solid rear and an IRS car into a corner. IRS shits on solid rears, my comment was merely saying that it's completely not worth transferring different rear suspension set ups, thanks to the different chassis and stuff. If the guy wants an IRS car badly, might as well go and buy one with IRS, not waste time and money putting IRS into a Live Axle chassis and getting it engineered.
correct :)