Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lock right lokka

shreks vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ V8 statesman
bugger that mite stick with the lock right idea

siroller

CAL 415
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl sl s/w mx7 a8 -- vy acclaim s/w 3.8A
you guys are well lost.

I have one in a vl 6cyl turbo. its a borg warner 28 spline with 3:45 gears.

It's great. its always locked unless there is different speeds between the two wheels (eg turning a corner) then it opens up and only turns the inside wheel (this is the racheting noise.)
An lsd in contrast will always turn 1 wheel but lock up when power is applied. (but they get loose and you end up with a single pegger)

They do make a fair racheting noise. but then again i drive an SL with no sound deadening so in a calais or hsv they would put out much less noise when in cabin.
I've had it bang a few times when it sends shocks through the suspension because it hasn't unlocked but its better than a full spool and a very very tight lsd will do the same.
other than that not a complaint at all. I expected the above when I purchased the centre. it doesn't need re-shimming like an LSD and it won't smash axles / scrub out tyres like a spool. it also costs a fraction of teh price of a detroit locker or 9" conversion which is excessive anyway.

It's awesome in essence however be prepared for some sacrifices. this isn't in my everyday car and it isn't built for comfort. they were actually designed for the 4x4 competition market.

I love my locker!

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
you guys are well lost.

It's great. its always locked unless there is different speeds between the two wheels (eg turning a corner) then it opens up and only turns the inside wheel (this is the racheting noise.)
An lsd in contrast will always turn 1 wheel but lock up when power is applied. (but they get loose and you end up with a single pegger)

They do make a fair racheting noise. but then again i drive an SL with no sound deadening so in a calais or hsv they would put out much less noise when in cabin.
I've had it bang a few times when it sends shocks through the suspension because it hasn't unlocked but its better than a full spool and a very very tight lsd will do the same.
other than that not a complaint at all. I expected the above when I purchased the centre. it doesn't need re-shimming like an LSD and it won't smash axles / scrub out tyres like a spool. it also costs a fraction of teh price of a detroit locker or 9" conversion which is excessive anyway.

It's awesome in essence however be prepared for some sacrifices. this isn't in my everyday car and it isn't built for comfort. they were actually designed for the 4x4 competition market.

I love my locker!

Sorry what type of diff center do you have?

shreks vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ V8 statesman
anyone know if a p/n 1830 would fit a vn??

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
I've got one front and rear in my suzuki sierra and I wouldn't like one in my commodore. For drags only then sure it'll do the job but I prefer a LSD for everything else

shreks vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ V8 statesman
yeah i got a mini spool at the moment but i just wanna know if richmond powertrax P/N 1830 would fit a vn diff??

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
you guys are well lost.

I love my locker!

I had one of these in the front of my 4x4 before getting an ARB Air Locker which I can turn on and off as I please.

The main reason I got rid of the Lokka was due to the fact it would lock under torque including turning so it was hard to turn on tight tracks, so unless they designed the lokka you are using differently then I think you might have a Detroit because by rights they are the only locker I know about that unlock while turning?

PS... Does your locker engage around a corner if you apply power?

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Honest advice from my experience:

I had a factory LSD in my VN when it was a 6 pot. That crapped out as usual over the years.

I put a minispool in there for three or four years. It destroyed tyres and suspension components and I grew to hate it. The LS1 6spd swap eventually proved too much for it and blew an axle.

Spent the extra on 3.9s and a Harrop Truetrac centre, have not looked back. Beautiful to drive. Handles like factory but never single pegs, best of all worlds really. Mechanical LSD too so no clutches to wear out, just change the oil every now and then. Worth the price.

Hope that helps
Sam

shreks vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ V8 statesman
yeah but i only asking 1 thing now would a richmond powertrax lockright P/N 1830 fit a vn diff center or do i need another 1??????