Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking at VR Berlina... what to check ?

Hwarang

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to the forums and in need of some advice. I'm going to go and look at a friend of a friends VR Berlina. The car has done 215740 k's. Its an auto with a powerchip, pacemaker extractors with 2.5" exhaust and 17" mags. I think he is asking $7000 for the car, but I'm just wondering if thats a good price, and what I should look for when I go and check the car out, I will have 2 of my mates with me that both own thier own commodores, but just want to be sure we find everything.
Thanks,
Hwarang.

Last edited:
V

VSAccCom

Check for leaks eg, aircon hoses, rad hoses, oil leaks etc, check alternator bearing, water pump (they should both normally make a noise when the car is running) check if the boot leaks, and also get a tech1 readout from an auto electrician.. other than that i cant think of **** to check for... Good Luck car buying

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
Valley Gasket on the V6

I had to replace the valley gasket on mine soon after I bought it. No coolant inhibitor is a warning sign - it has a strong smell if it leaks. They like new steering racks & pumps too but that's not a bank-breaker. Just have a good long unemotional look.

semmi

Reaction score
i probably sound like captain obvious here, but check all the goodies in the car work - the electric windows, mirrors and antenna, the central locking, cruise and climate control etc etc...

as i said it's pointing out the obvious but you'd be surprised how many people don't check carefully. berlinas are loaded with that sort of stuff, and it can be costly to repair - so it's worth looking out for...

Hwarang

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I checked out the car... not worth the $7000 he was asking for it, for a VR that has a powerchip, extractors, cold air intake, and a pod filter, it felt very lacking (compared to a friends VR that only has extractors). Think it might have been to do with the gearbox. It was also very dirty when I went to see it, and there were a lot of minor things that would need fixing, the antenna was completely missing, and the passenger seat was ****ed. Think I will try to look for a stock VS II Berlina... I can probably get one for about the same price he was asking, with less k's.