Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking at VS

HQ_Kid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6
Hi everyone!
I've just signed up so be nice to me ;)
I'm looking to buy a VVR-VS commodore. I looked at a VS on the weekend and it had a slight oil leak at the front of the engine I couldn't see if it was the sump gasket or from above the sump - timing cover?
it wasn't a major leak but there was oil on the part of the sump where it comes forward under the pulleys.
Is this a common problem?
Any ideas what it would cost to repair?

Cheers
Alex

C

clinker1212

Hi HQ!

How many kms has it done? the only liquid mine has leaked is power steering fluid.

HQ_Kid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6
Its a '95 and done 193k
everything else seems pretty good...

john_g_82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Vacationer
My VS has had the rear main seal, power streering pump, water pump and oil pressure switch leaking at some time (all fixed now). So check all those things.

John

C

clinker1212

I was thinking of the rear main seal though you said its coming from above the sump. First thing to do is to pin point the leak. Possibly just a gasket needing replacing. Another thing to check for is a crack somewhere. Also make sure that it is oil and not something else that is leaking.

If the vehicle isnt overheating and your not loosing too much liquid then I would imagine it is only something minor. My advice is to get a mechanic or RACQ to check it out. That way you know what problems to expect or deal with before you get the nasty surprises.

gluck- VS is a nice car.

HQ_Kid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6
Thanks for the help guys.
I've got the owners to book it in to a mechanic to have a look at it today or tomorrow.
From what I could tell it looks leak free except for this leak on the front of the sump.
I had a thought that maybe its the oil pressure switch (thanks john_g_82)
I guess I'll find out soon...

M

MGZ-38L

yeah alot of them seem to leak from the sump there..
usual isnt anything too major