Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Looking into a VZ, need advice

Angusvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Hey everyone, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I'm looking into buying a SVZ ute for a pretty low price. I was just wondering if there are any regular issues with this model that I should look into/watch out for. It's done about 150000kms if that helps.

Thanks, also let me know if there's somewhere else I should post this.

Mick06 svz

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz svz 3.5l alloytec
Have a look at early model alloytec threads on this site, there is a seperate vz section that will tell you most things to look out for.
Have a look at the roller chains issue’s, motor slugging due to poor maintenance, Check out the diameter of pcv valve compared to new models. You’ll eventually come to your own conclusions on future maintenance and upgrades to these vehicles. Keep in mind not all issues are common for all.

Mick06 svz

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz svz 3.5l alloytec
You’ll love the location of the thermostat and the original water pump likes to throw a bearing early. Do your normal checks before buying one though and ask about it’s service history, wether the major service was done, from memory these motors are fitted with iridium or platinum plugs from factory so you should have a new set in. Drive belt should’ve been replaced, gearbox serviced and ask about any coil pack failure.. reports of individual coil packs letting go at 100k+ are floating around. Check out the reports on ecu failure on early models also, fingers crossed you’ve got a nice clean and reliable buy ..good luck.

Angusvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
You’ll love the location of the thermostat and the original water pump likes to throw a bearing early. Do your normal checks before buying one though and ask about it’s service history, wether the major service was done, from memory these motors are fitted with iridium or platinum plugs from factory so you should have a new set in. Drive belt should’ve been replaced, gearbox serviced and ask about any coil pack failure.. reports of individual coil packs letting go at 100k+ are floating around. Check out the reports on ecu failure on early models also, fingers crossed you’ve got a nice clean and reliable buy ..good luck.
thanks for the help mate.