Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hot One Tonner

VY 1 Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY One Tonner V8
G'Day Brains trust, Hope I'm in the right place here, just looking for advice.
I've got a VY One Tonner that I use for a work ute and it struggles to keep the temp under control with the AC running on a warm day.
Quick backround on the ute. It's running a slightly cammed LS3 and a T56 and 3.9 diff. It also has an OTR intake and Manta 1 7/8" 4 into 1's and dual 2.5" pipes so it breathes fairly well.
It's always loaded (which I'm sure is a contributing factor).
I've currently got an all alloy 52mm VZ radiator (ebay special) and VZ thermos (reputable brand) trying to keep things cool. I think the best way to cure it is a bigger (or better) radiator but I'm looking for advice before I spend a heap of money on a PWR or similar and was wondering if anyone has overcome overheating issues caused primarily I think from engine load trying to move this heavy machine down the road.

yamahahatim

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss crewman
Time to check/replace waterpump, and thermostat would be definitely worth considering, as rad and fans a recently replaced..
Then you have everything in reasonably new condition...

Maybe get thermo fans to come on a little earlier??

Crunchy Granola

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore,77 Charger,Cagiva Raptor 1000
G'Day Brains trust, Hope I'm in the right place here, just looking for advice.
I've got a VY One Tonner that I use for a work ute and it struggles to keep the temp under control with the AC running on a warm day.
Quick backround on the ute. It's running a slightly cammed LS3 and a T56 and 3.9 diff. It also has an OTR intake and Manta 1 7/8" 4 into 1's and dual 2.5" pipes so it breathes fairly well.
It's always loaded (which I'm sure is a contributing factor).
I've currently got an all alloy 52mm VZ radiator (ebay special) and VZ thermos (reputable brand) trying to keep things cool. I think the best way to cure it is a bigger (or better) radiator but I'm looking for advice before I spend a heap of money on a PWR or similar and was wondering if anyone has overcome overheating issues caused primarily I think from engine load trying to move this heavy machine down the road.
Maybe a transmission and or oil cooler could put a lid on your cooling issue. However you need to be sure there isn't any engine damage causing your overheating first.

Crunchy Granola

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore,77 Charger,Cagiva Raptor 1000
Maybe a transmission and or oil cooler could put a lid on your cooling issue. However you need to be sure there isn't any engine damage causing your overheating first.
Oops you are running a manual box so no trans cooler then.