Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking to buy a VE SS or SS/V. Advice needed.

Queball

Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda
No mods, looking for a good stockie and being a daily driver will stay that way.

Haven't taken this any further, looks like purchase is going to be delayed. Will keep tuning in though.

Queball

Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda
Still looking around. I have noticed a few really nice SS-V Redlines come up, just out of budget but if I bide my time something will come up. Currently eyeing off a Yellow Ute.

How much better are the Brembo brakes over the standard ones? Is there much in it or is it just a brand name thing?? Does the name Brembo = hideously expensive to replace pads and rotors or is it not too much over the standards?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
What about problems with excess oil usage with the SIDI and stretching timing chains on the alloytec and piston slap on the V8's ? Not sure if this was all VE's or only certain years . Can anyone verify this , as i'm also thinking of updating too .

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, VE Calais-V Series II
What about problems with excess oil usage with the SIDI and stretching timing chains on the alloytec and piston slap on the V8's ? Not sure if this was all VE's or only certain years . Can anyone verify this , as i'm also thinking of updating too .

All of the above issues can happen, but any car will have its issues. Just research the car and get a mechanic to check over it if you're that worried.

Issues with the lifters on V8s were particular to the L76 AFM Engines. However I have this engine and have no issue

Starkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 2011 Nitrate
I personally hate Holden leather and would have bought the SSV if it had a no leather option, wait and see the condition in 5 to 10years.

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, VE Calais-V Series II
I personally hate Holden leather and would have bought the SSV if it had a no leather option, wait and see the condition in 5 to 10years.

This was the main reason I didn't buy an SS-V, all my previous cars have had leather and caused me nothing but trouble.

ENVY 1T

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 ve ssv manual
if your going to look at the 08 ss manual. you should know, they come with the outdated t56 6 speed manual they are a strong box. but can be quite clunky for every day driving. Late 09 ssv's came out with the upgraded tr6060 6 speed manual. alot better gearbox. stronger. and smoother.

Hi Folks,

First timer here. I’m a 50yo bloke who has had Fords for most of my driving life. I am a Ford bloke by nature but I have developed quite a liking for the VE and really like the VF series.

I may be replacing my daily driver (jap egg beater) in the near future. After discovering all the problems that have beset the FG Falcon I won’t be buying one of those.

I am looking to get a VE SS or SS/V, unmodified, sub 50,000km’s. Undecided between Sedan or Ute. Also undecided between Manual or Auto but I suspect my better half would prefer an Auto.

It will be a daily driver and a long term proposition so I’m looking to drive it until the wheels fall off. I’m looking for long term reliability and I’m rather anal about keeping my cars fully serviced. Resale value predictions will be irrelevant so I will be buying purely on condition. I have seen some early ones with very low Km’s and good service history for reasonable money.

I have seen a 2008 SS Manual in very good condition with only 32,000km on the clock for around $25K. For me that would be a better buy than a later build with more km’s. I have also noticed a lot of very low km 2011/2012 VE’s pop up, obviously being traded for VF’s so there is scope to crunch a good deal if I can negotiate a bigger budget!!

At this stage I need to know what the problems are, what to look for and if there are any I should avoid. Which are the better ones?? Should I avoid the early ones??

I have heard of some water leakage into the passenger footwell but a google search hasn’t come up with much.

I don’t know a lot about the VE only that I have test driven a demo VE SS/V and I liked it, as in REALLY liked it. All my Ford mates want to perform an exorcism on me.

Anyway, any good advice will be very much appreciated.

Cheers!!

ENVY 1T

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 ve ssv manual
mines a late 09 ssv manual. comes with the gauges and a l98 plus the better tr 6060 manual

That's why you buy a late 08 early 09 :) you get the triple gauges and you don't have that AFM ****. Still the good old L98 :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

ENVY 1T

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 ve ssv manual
keep looking mate. you'll find a good one. i bought my late 09 ssv manual off the first owner (lady) and her husband was a cop. so mine wasn't thrashed. only 27,000k's when i bought it for 30k

No mods, looking for a good stockie and being a daily driver will stay that way.

Haven't taken this any further, looks like purchase is going to be delayed. Will keep tuning in though.

SSfluro

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 08 & VY SS 04
Still looking around. I have noticed a few really nice SS-V Redlines come up, just out of budget but if I bide my time something will come up. Currently eyeing off a Yellow Ute.

How much better are the Brembo brakes over the standard ones? Is there much in it or is it just a brand name thing?? Does the name Brembo = hideously expensive to replace pads and rotors or is it not too much over the standards?

The Brembos over stock are a very good upgrade and one really worth considering but its not like you cant install the exact same ones if you buy a VE SS, your looking at around 1K for those brakes fitted you just need the right rims to clear them. The redlines are good but your better of saving the extra money for rims+tyres or performance mods to the exhaust & OTR CAI.