Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking to Tune- What Should I Be Looking For?

matttheduckman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFI SS
As the title suggests, looking to tune my manual VF Series 1 SS. Current mods include:

- 2.5" Xforce cat back system
- 1-7/8” stainless steel 4>1 extractors with 5” body Ballistic 100cpsi Racing cats
- VCM OTR MAF

Looking to make the best of these mods, whilst still maintaining reasonable drive-ability and fuel consumption, as I drive around 150-200km a day for work. I understand some tuning will increase fuel consumption, and I am in the wrong car if I am concerned, but do not want a huge increase.

What I would like to ask however is what I should be looking for and asking tuner/s when getting prices? Unfortunately I missed the cheaper JDR Motorsport tuning discount this month. I have been in contact with a few local tuners, and for approx. $800 I will get a dyno tune.

Not after massive KW's either. Not sure if it's a good idea to be running these mods long term on the stock tune either. Have had an engine light or two from the extractors, seems to have sorted itself out!

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I understand some tuning will increase fuel consumption, and I am in the wrong car if I am concerned, but do not want a huge increase.

They're a poor tuner if it does.

matttheduckman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFI SS
Heh, that's a fair call then. Have been told consumption may decrease, so I am not 100% sure. But in any case, it's not my top priority!

Engine has 115,000km on it though!! Otherwise zero worries mechanically.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Looking to make the best of these mods, whilst still maintaining reasonable drive-ability and fuel consumption, as I drive around 150-200km a day for work. I understand some tuning will increase fuel consumption, and I am in the wrong car if I am concerned, but do not want a huge increase.

If you do a lot of freeway/highway driving, you'll see a decrease in fuel consumption.

A good tune will decrease fuel use overall, unless you go nuts with the load pedal...

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
With the entry level mods the Op has listed a good tune will improve fuel consumption during general day to day duties.

If you get a bit more serious by swapping out cams then you may find usage goes up.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Sounds like you are going with Sureflo headers?

matttheduckman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFI SS
Sounds like you are going with Sureflo headers?

Correct, had them installed a few months ago. Happy with their service too, Greg sure knows his stuff.

And as suggested, I do a lot of freeway driving, so my consumption is not outrageous anyway.

Ponza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk GroupA, VF SSV Redline
Had my SS series 1 tuned at NAS automotive at Thornleigh when I first bought it, has similar mods to yours.
Around town it’ll empty the tank in about 400-450ish km but on trip it’ll get 800km, earlier this year we went from Newcastle to the Gold Coast non stop.
On the dyno sheet it is “supposed” to have 265rwkw.
Hope this helps.
It’s a manual.

matttheduckman

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFI SS
Had my SS series 1 tuned at NAS automotive at Thornleigh when I first bought it, has similar mods to yours.
Around town it’ll empty the tank in about 400-450ish km but on trip it’ll get 800km, earlier this year we went from Newcastle to the Gold Coast non stop.
Hope this helps.
It’s a manual.

Hmm OK, cool. I don't do much 'around town' stuff, probably about 5% of my total driving! Had a quote from a guy locally for $800 for a dyno tune...

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Hope this helps.
It’s a manual.
Hi, I do about 1200 km a week too, and the run between Caltex at Hamilton NSW and United at Tweed Heads South QLD is 640 km.
A full tank used get just over 700 km on 98 up the Pacific without roadworks, but with new sections coming online that is difficult to predict. Still massive 80kph and even 40kph stretches where sometimes you plant it to overtake because of congestion.
Don’t expect a tune with more km, that’s not impossible just not safe on 98.
Way I save is tuned car better for flex and AFM, added VVT. Means Newcastle to Tweed driving like a nanna for around $70.
SureFlo used to have a tuner on hand, young bloke from QLD - Jason or Justin? He has some good results from out of the square theory.
My advice is to look into enabling the AFM in your manual, can mean 50% less under light throttle, still haul like a mofo under power enrichment.