Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loom Between Alternator and Battery - Please Advise

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
The fuse should be rated at either the capacity of the cable of the capacity of the alternator - whichever is LESS.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Some alternators are rated to 130 amps - they don't make fuses that size except for fusible links. Also to be considered is that the power that the alternator provides goes thru more than one cable - in the case of the Commodore, the white cable supplies power directly to the operational side of the car (thru a fusible link) whilst the thick red one supplies power to the battery (to replace power that has been drained previously and with no fusible link). It is a balancing act and one which the manufacturer has spent a bit of time and $$$ on. Lesson over.

SkiBum

170atw kw GT Forester
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ASV Acclaim (Better half's ride)
hako said:
It is a balancing act and one which the manufacturer has spent a bit of time and $$$ on. Lesson over.

So if they have spent so much money on this, why is it a common fault on the cars to melt the line and burn out the alternator on a basically stock car. Perhaps one of the designers was :drink: :drink: :drink:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe they didn't plan on people putting 1000watt sound system in...or maybe the bean counters cheapened out in the wiring....or maybe the supplier to GMH changed the specifications without telling GMH....or maybe the wiring was designed on a Friday...like at the pub ----SkiBum you may be right.

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
I suspect the bean counters, they will be first up against the wall when the revolution comes. Hey, if the cars are perfect leaving the factory then why are we here at this forum?

SkiBum

170atw kw GT Forester
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR ASV Acclaim (Better half's ride)
dontsailbackwards said:
I suspect the bean counters, they will be first up against the wall when the revolution comes. Hey, if the cars are perfect leaving the factory then why are we here at this forum?

Such words are unfortunately only wayy tooooo true:mad: