Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loose steering column - help!

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Hi All,

I have a VK with power steering with a mono steering wheel and just picked this beauty up. It’s running a 355.

However, while driving a gave it a bit of gas and I pulled the steering wheel back towards me & the steering wheel came back towards me and the column, yes I had the fright of my life!!!

I checked the steering wheel nut & tightened this up - but under pressure pulling the steering wheel back towards me the column still comes back.

Please advise what I need to do to fix this.

Sorry in advance - I’m not a 100 percent a mechanical person however I will have a go at things first. I can’t see my mechanic until the 7/3/24.

Any advice or guidance is always appreciated.

Cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The column has broken the pin internally....It's part of the collapsible system...(Haven't explained it well, I know)

Fix is replace the column

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
The column has broken the pin internally....It's part of the collapsible system...(Haven't explained it well, I know)

Fix is replace the column
By fixing this do you mean whole new column? Or can I replace the pin? Is this an easy fix? Thanks

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
By fixing this do you mean whole new column? Or can I replace the pin? Is this an easy fix? Thanks
The two Delrin sheer pins in the collapsible steering shaft are non serviceable according to GMH.
Broken sheer pins are the least of your worries. For what your describing is happening, and if I am understanding it correctly, you have some major issues with a broken steering column jacket or the upper column bearing is pulling out of the coffee pot.

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
The two Delrin sheer pins in the collapsible steering shaft are non serviceable according to GMH.
Broken sheer pins are the least of your worries. For what you’re describing is happening, and if I am understanding it correctly, you have some major issues with a broken steering column jacket or the upper column bearing is pulling out of the coffee pot.
Will Any mechanic will be able to tackle this? It might be out of my depth to be honest.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Will Any mechanic will be able to tackle this? It might be out of my depth to be honest.
Any mechanic worth his salt should be able to tackle the job, more a case of finding a mechanic interested in doing it.

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Broken sheer pins are the least of your worries. For what your describing is happening, and if I am understanding it correctly, you have some major issues with a broken steering column jacket or the upper column bearing is pulling out of the coffee pot.
I have removed the pot - under further inspection I have removed all but the shaft. The shaft does slide downwards when pushed. Is this normal? Or does it mean it’s stuffed?

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
I have removed all things and have the column and shaft sticking out. I have pushed a little on the shaft and it slides down collapsing in a downward motion. Is this normal?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have removed all things and have the column and shaft sticking out. I have pushed a little on the shaft and it slides down collapsing in a downward motion. Is this normal?

Nope....The pin that has been mentioned has sheared off causing the column to collapse....

The pin shears off to help prevent damage to your body in the event of an accident, by allowing the shaft to collapse down with you, rather than being fixed in place.

If you grab the shaft, it'll move upwards, which is the motion you described in the beginning of this thread....

Either than column has been in an accident, or someone hit it with a hammer to remove a steering wheel.