Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

loose strut tower drama

AA6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 ute S2
Hi

Was wondering if any of you guys can help me. I have a vs v6 commo with a loose strut tower. I can move the top of the tower in the engine bay (the circle steel thing with rubber around it) with my hand, and the spring and wheel move a little. To fix this do I just need to tighten the nut on top? Im asking because the 'stud' that the thread is on has been rounded, so I would need to weld something on to tighten it.
Or, would I have to get something else done?

I hope you can understand what I mean...

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
I'd say it the bearing under the strut top needs replacing and you have a loose strut not strut tower and reading the part about the rounding do ya mean the nut or the thread on the strut ? But it sounds like it might be easier to buy two new struts strut tops and bearings an if you want to go all out get new springs as well that way you don't have to have much down time as ya can build the strut out of the car then just swap it over.

AA6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 ute S2
Ok thanks man that helps a lot, gives me something to work on.
The thread is ok, its the part on the top for a size 10 bit thats rounded.
It has king springs and the shocks seem fine, so maybe I just need the bearings and strut tops?
One other question, it doesnt look like its gonna come off anytime soon, so it should be ok to drive another 100ks wouldnt it?

Thanks again.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The rounded nut is part of the strut. If you think your struts are OK and its just the 'nut' on the top that someone butchered you can probably file the nut back to a hex and find a socket to fit onto it.
The strut tops and bearings should have been replaced when the struts and spring were. If they were not then that will be your problem. ( they are not original struts are they ? if so chuck them out )

AA6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 ute S2
Yea I should try filing it and tightening it, to narrow the problem down at least. They could be the original struts, Im not sure, the tops of them are very rusty...

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
just get a deep socket and hit the nut with a rattle gun, it's how i always do up/undo them and i've never had to lock the shocker rod in place to do so.

if you don't have an air compressor you can make one that would do the job for <=$25 and sca occasionally have their small impact gun on special for $20 that would be more than adequate.

compressor.jpg
and the best part is it's quiet.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
lol, it's an old fridge compressor on an out of date gas bottle, silent air compressor that cost less than $25

AA6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs v6 ute S2
That, is awesome