Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loosing coolant in my LS1

anvlson1

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VX WAGON
Hey lads just wanted to know if this is a common problem and the basic things i should look for under the hood.
Ive got a Vx 5.7 and the coolant is disappering day by day when i drive it. Ive checked everything i can see and cant find where its weeping from, ive topped it up with water but obviously i cant keep doing that for long

Thanx for ur help guys

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Look for water pipes leaking at hose clamped ends - radiator hoses and heater hoses.

Failing that, go for a nice drive to get it all nice and hot and leaking, head home and pop that black plastic shroud off the front (above your radiator) and you'll probably find it's split, either from an end tank or more rarely the core itself.

My sister's VX Ecotec and parents' VY Ecotec both split their radiators in the last month, if you have any questions I can probably help.

Sam

anvlson1

Reaction score
Members Ride
LS1 VX WAGON
Cheers man, ill have a look 2morrow morning

gts071

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV GTS
happend to mine its very likely from a tank on the left or right side of the radiator

What ^^^^ he said.

The side tanks are prone to crack, the first one to go is the hot side (I think it is the drivers side) but both can fail due to heat, wear and tear.

Another friend had this issue after taking the heads and and the new gasket never sealed correctly but this was visible.