Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'Lose' v 'Tight' Ecotec engines?

MitchS

Reaction score
I have recently been searching for a newish commodore (VT-VX), i have found a few i like.

Anyway, after finding a perfect VX executive in immaculate condition, good km, good price, full service record i was shocked to see after driving it the engine just sounds rough, harsh and doesn't rev freely. The throttle feels harder and heavier, and it just feels like a different car.

I'm not sure how common that is, but on the same day i found a vt s pack, and considering they are meant to be the same engine it revved much more freely and just felt fast as a whole, it felt really lose and easy to get along with. I would buy it in a tick if it was in better condition with less k's, it just felt as a whole really nice to drive.

The "tight" vx felt like it was always straining, and never really revved freely, it felt much like my older VS.

I'm just wondering is this normal? Is there any actual reason for this? I thought the VX's gear ratios might be slightly different, and in a straight line i don't actually know if there would be anything in it, but the VT definitely felt better and smoother to drive. Is there just good and bad engines?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
You'll need to drive more than two to really know. It could have been missing a piston, or perhaps have a collapsed cat. Who knows, really. Drive a few more before you decide what they're supposed to feel like :) I must've driven around 8 VP/VNs before I settled on my current ride, which just felt "right".

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
it could be a million a one reasons. its possible its never been revved over 2 grand and everything is just choke up. might just need a good flogging.

could just be its using thicker engine oil or in need of a service.

VS_wagoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Wagon
Yes, my experience has been to test as many cars as you can, even if the first one you see feels right, as the next one you drive could feel even more 'right'. I drove about 5 VR/VS's before settling on mine, it felt amazing compared to the others, just so smooth and tight.

Looking at heaps of cars can be tiring, but it's nothing compared to having to put up with the one you bought that wasn't quite right!

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
haha, I test drove like almost 13 cars before I settled into my VS which the previous owner rebuilt the engine before selling it to me. Lucky find.

Just take your time, you will find the right car.